Before installation, determine the best type of deployment for your Barracuda Backup appliance; refer to the Deployment section for a list of options.
Create a Barracuda Cloud Control Account
Before you can connect your Barracuda Networks products to Barracuda Cloud Control, you must first create an account:
- If you do not have an account, go to https://login.barracuda.com/ and click Create a user.
- Enter your name, email address, and company name, and specify if this is a partner account. Click Create User.
- Follow the instructions emailed to the entered email address to log in and create your Barracuda Cloud Control account.
- After submitting your new account information, the Account page displays your account name, associated privileges, and username.
Verify the Equipment
Verify you have the necessary equipment:
- Barracuda Backup appliance (check that you have received the correct model) and AC power cable (included)
- Barracuda Backup appliance serial number and linking code (available on both the side of the Barracuda Backup appliance and the Barracuda Backup Quick Start Guide included with the appliance)
- Connectivity and access information for all data sources you want to back up
- VGA Monitor and USB or PST 2 keyboard (recommended/customer supplied)
- For Ethernet models, an Ethernet connection is required*
- For LC Fiber models, an LC SFP or SFP+ connection is required*
*Cabling differs based on the appliance model. For more information, refer to Barracuda Backup Appliance Hardware Specifications.
Activate Backup Product
Once your account is paid for, you must activate Barracuda Backup to initiate backups.
To activate your appliance:
Go to http://login.barracuda.com, and log in. If you do not have an account, click Create a User, follow the account creation instructions, and log in.
- Click Backup in the left pane, and go to Admin > Activate Barracuda Backup.
- Enter the Serial Number and Linking Code from the sticker on the back of your Quick Start Guide included with the appliance, and click Next.
The wizard launches. In the Your Info page, enter your contact information, and click Continue.
In the Device Info page, enter a Device Name to represent the device in the UI. If you previously defined display groups, select the Display Group to which to add the device to from the drop-down menu.
From the Time Zone drop-down menu, select the time zone where the device will be physically located.
In the Enter device location section, enter the geographical location of the Barracuda Backup device.
Select whether to Automatically update device firmware after activation, and click Continue.
- The Terms of Service page displays. Read the Terms and Conditions, and click I have read and agree to complete the linking process. Click Done.
Once your device is linked, click Go to Dashboard.
Physically Install the Appliance
Fasten the Barracuda Backup appliance to a standard 19-inch rack or other stable location.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from your network switch to the Ethernet port on the back panel of the appliance, and any additional cables as necessary.
- Connect a standard VGA monitor, PS2/USB keyboard, and an AC power cord to the Barracuda Backup appliance.
- Press the Power button on the front panel to turn on the appliance.
Enter Encryption Key (Barracuda Encrypted Backup Appliance Only)
- Use the Barracuda Console to access the configuration menu using the credentials admin / admin.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight Disk Encryption in the left pane.
- Press Enter to switch from read mode to edit mode.
Use the arrow keys to highlight the Change Encryption Key section in the right pane.
Enter a new encryption key that meets the password requirements listed on-screen in the Enter New Key and Confirm New Key fields.
Optionally, enter a new power-on password in the Enter Password and Confirm Password fields.
Navigate to Save, and press Enter. The confirmation screen displays.
Press Enter to continue to return to the Barracuda Console.
In the System Configuration screen, use the down arrow to navigate to and select Exit, and press Enter.
Continue with Step 2 - How to Configure Barracuda Backup.