To ease deployment, the Barracuda NG Vx units are available as prebuilt OVA images that can be imported into your VMware hypervisor. You do not need to create or configure a virtual machine (VM).
Before deploying the Barracuda NG Vx unit, verify that the host system meets the minimum storage requirements and review the resource recommendations for the production system.
You can deploy the Barracuda NG Vx unit using either the VMware vSphere Client or the VMware OVF Tool (ovftool).
In this article:
Before You Begin
- Before you start the Barracuda NG Firewall Vx for the first time, assign a manual MAC address to the first virtual network interface. This lets you move the VM later without invalidating your license. For more information, see Best Practice - Performance Tuning on VMware Hypervisors.
Use the VMware vSphere Client
Step 1. Download and Import the OVA Image
- Download the OVA image for your Barracuda NG Firewall or Barracuda NG Control Center from your Barracuda Networks Account.
- Connect to your VMware hypervisor using the vSphere client.
- Click File > Deploy OVF Template.
- In the deployment wizard, click Browse and select the OVA image. Click Next to proceed.
- Enter a name for the virtual machine to be created. Click Next to proceed.
Select the datastore that the Barracuda NG Vx unit should be installed on.
- Map to the required network in your existing inventory and then click Next to proceed.
- After the deployment wizard summarizes all your settings, click Finish to start the deployment process. After successful deployment, the Barracuda NG Vx unit is displayed in your VMware hypervisor inventory list.
- Select the Barracuda NG Vx unit from the list on the left and edit settings such as Disk Provisioning with appropriate values.
Step 2. Turn On and Configure the Barracuda NG Vx Unit
- Turn on the Barracuda NG Vx unit and click the Console tab of the virtual machine.
The Barracuda NG Vx unit begins to boot.
For a basic network configuration, the Barracuda NG Vx unit launches the Active Recovery Technology menu.
- Select Basic Configuration, enter the following network settings, and then press F3 to save your changes:
- Hostname – The desired hostname for your Barracuda NG Vx unit.
- Management IP – The IP address that your Barracuda NG Vx unit should be reachable through.
- Netmask – The subnet mask in dotted quad notation. For example,
- Default Gateway – The IP address of the next hop device that serves as an access point to another network.
- When the window opens to announce that your configuration changes were saved, press any key to continue.
- Select Reboot to restart the Barracuda NG Vx unit with the new network configuration.
Use the VMware OVF Tool
- Download the VMware OVF Tool from vmware.com. Use the following command:
ovftool -datastore=datastorename ovaimage vi://server-ip
datastore– The name for the data store.
ovaimage– The path and name of the OVA file.
server-ip– The IP address for the virtual appliance.
- Configure the resources pool and the network mapping within the VMware virtual machine settings.
- Using Barracuda NG Admin, connect to the virtual appliance for configuration.
After you deploy the Barracuda NG Vx unit, continue with Getting Started and optionally Best Practice - Performance Tuning on VMware Hypervisors.