The IPS signature database can be updated centrally on the Barracuda NextGen Control Center, or offline by copying the signature files from a F-Series Firewall with up-to-date IPS signatures to the Control Center. Managed firewalls are updated directly by the Control Center.
Online IPS database updates
To perform an online update of the IPS database on the box layer of the Control Center:
- Go to CONTROL > Server.
- Under the IPS section on the right, click Update.
- Select Check for updates to check for available IPS database updates and install them.
You can also use the following options:
- Roll back to previous version – Revert the IPS database to any version that was previously installed.
- Roll back to latest version – Revert the IPS database to the last installed version.
Offline IPS database updates
Use the offline update feature if your Control Center has no access to the Internet by coping the update files from an up-to-date NextGen Firewall F-Series to the Control Center. The update files are stored in
/var/phion/mcdownload/ips/files on the F-Series Firewall.
Step 1. Create a directory for the offline patterns
- Log in to the Control Center via SSH.
- Create a directory for the update files. E.g.,
Step 2. Set the update mode to offline
Change the IPS update mode to use the directory created in step 1.
- Log in to the Control Center.
- Go to CONTROL > File Updates .
- From the Area Configuration dropdown list, select IPS pattern updates.
- Click Set Area Config.
- Set the Mode to Offline .
- In the Offline Source Path field, enter the path of the IPS pattern source directory created in step1. E.g.,
- Click OK .
Step 3. Copy the update files from a F-Series Firewall
Use the up-to-date IPS patterns on a F-Series Firewall as the source for the offline update of the Control Center IPS patterns.
- Log in to a F-Series Firewall.
- Copy all files in the
/var/phion/mcdownload/ips/filesfolder to the Offline Source Path folder configured in Step1 on your Control Center.
Step 4. Trigger IPS update on the Control Center
On the firewall/box level of the Control Center:
- Go to CONTROL > Server .
- In the IPS section on the right, click Update.
Offline updates to the IPS database are shown in the IPS version history and are also logged.