To ease deployment the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx are available as script containing an XML configuration file and the virtual disk.
Before deploying the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit, verify that the host system meets the minimum storage requirements and review the resource recommendations for production systems.
In this article:
Before you Begin
- For information regarding the sizing of your CPU, disk, and RAM, see Virtual Systems (Vx).
- Download and install a VNC viewer.
- Configure the virtual networking on the Xen host server. Use a network bridge for best performance.
- Download the Xen HVM or PV images from the Barracuda Download Portal.
Step 1. Import and Start the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx VM
Execute the install script to deploy the image on the opensource Xen Server.
Log into the Xen server server with root permissions.
Copy the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx Xen install file to the Xen host server (e.g., install.GWAY-6.0.0-135-VFxxx.xen.sh).
Make the file executable
chmod +x install.GWAY-6.0.0-135-VFxxx.xen.sh
Start the install script.
- (optional) Enter the name and path you want the image file deployed to. Press Enter to use the default value.
- (optional) Enter the path for the configuration file. Press Enter to use the default value.
- Choose non-sparse deployment for production deployments, sparse for testing purposes.
- Enter the domain name for the deployment. Press Enter to accept the default value suggested
Enter the MAC for virtual network interface. Press Enter to accept the default value suggested.
You can now use xm to import and start the virtual Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx. Adapt the network configuration of your Xen VM to your hypervisor.
Step 2. Configure the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx Unit on First Boot
Connect to the console of the VM to enter the minimal network configuration.
- Use a VNC client to connect to the IP address of the Xen host server. A console appears and displays the screen output of the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx that is running on the Xen server. For a basic network configuration, the Active Recovery Technology (ART) menu launches.
- Select Basic Configuration, enter the following network settings, and then press F3 to save your changes:
- Hostname – A hostname for your Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit.
- Management IP – The internal IP address for your Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit. This IP address must be reachable from your PC (e.g.,
- Netmask – The subnet mask (e.g.,
- Default Gateway – The IP address of the next hop device that serves as an access point to another network (e.g.,
- Press F3 to save the configuration.
- Select Reboot. The Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx restarts with the new network configuration.
After you deploy the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit, continue with Getting Started.