The Barracuda Email Security Service is a cloud-based email security service that protects both inbound and outbound email against the latest spam, viruses, worms, phishing, and denial of service attacks. The Barracuda Email Security Service web interface includes the Message Log from which you can manage your quarantined messages. Additionally, you can set account preferences based on features enabled for your account by the administrator.
Permissions may include:
- Modify quarantine notification report settings. Set email receipt frequency with a list of messages in your quarantine account. Once received, you can select whether to delete or deliver these messages to your email address.
- Create exemption (accept mail from), block, or quarantine policies for email addresses, domains, and users.
- Manage quarantine inbox delivery or delete quarantined messages.
- Change password.
Link Accounts. Use the current account as an alias and add additional email addresses in the same domain for which quarantined email is to be forwarded to this account.
Once your system administrator creates your account, the Barracuda Email Security Service sends you a welcome email including a login link. Note that the link expires after seven days.
The Barracuda Email Security Service web interface includes the Message Log from which you can manage your quarantined messages.
When enabled, you are notified on a regular interval when you have quarantined messages. The quarantine notification interval is set either by your administrator or, if you have permissions, you can set the interval on the Settings > Quarantine Notifications page. Note that quarantined messages expire after 30 days.
Figure 1. Quarantined Email Notification.
Manage Quarantined Mail
Use the Message Log to manage quarantined mail. The Message Log page displays all email messages that come through the Barracuda Email Security Service to your account. You can filter the view by All, Allowed, UI Delivered, Not Allowed, Blocked, Deferred, or Quarantined using the drop-down menu.
Figure 2. Filter Messages in the Message Log.
Messages are blocked due to the following:
- Spam and virus policies set by your administrator for the domain; and
- Email address or domain block policies, as well as email from other users, set by your administrator for the domain.
Messages are deferred for various reasons. Click the Help () icon on the Message Log page for more information as well as details on searching for and filtering messages.
From the Message Log page, select one or more messages, and then click on an action, as illustrated in Figure 3. To select all messages, select the check box at the top of the Message List.
Figure 3. Message Actions.
Once you select one or more messages, you can take the following actions:
- Spam – Selected messages are sent to Barracuda Central for analysis.
- Not Spam – Selected messages are sent to Barracuda Central for analysis.
- Export – Selected messages are exported to a CSV file. When prompted, enter a file name and select whether to save to your local desktop or network.
- Deliver – Attempts to deliver the selected message(s) to your mailbox. If a message is successfully delivered, the Delivery Status changes to Delivered. The mail remains in the log until you select the message and click Delete. If the mail cannot be delivered, a notice displays in your browser window and the Delivery Status does not change. If delivered messages are not delivered to the recipient's mailbox, it may be due to a filter on the mail server or a service on your network catching the mail as spam. Check with your system administrator for more information. Additionally, check your local trash/spam folder for the mail.
- Delete – Selected messages are removed from the Message Log.
- Whitelist – Always accept mail from the selected email addresses, domains, and/or users.
- Recategorize – When one or more categorized emails are selected, allows you to change the category. For example, if the message is categorized as Corporate but you believe it should be categorized as Marketing Materials, you can change the category via the Recategorize drop-down. This action submits this email message for recategorization to your selected category. If you select Other and enter a custom category, the category updates for that particular email message. For more information, see Email Categorization below.
If the Reason for a message in your Message Log displays as Email Categorization, the email from this sender is categorized as not necessarily spam, but something that you may have subscribed to at one time but no longer want to receive. For example, newsletters and memberships, or marketing information. Email Categorization assigns some of these emails to specific categories, which the administrator can decide to allow, block, or quarantine. Supported categories display in the Message Log Reason field as:
- Email Categorization (corporate) – Emails sent by a user at an authenticated organization from an MS Exchange Server that involves general corporate communications. Does not include marketing newsletters.
- Email Categorization (transactional) – Emails related to order confirmations, bills, invoices, bank statements, delivery/shipping notices, and service-related surveys.
- Email Categorization (marketing) – Promotional emails from companies such as Constant Contact.
- Email Categorization (mailing lists) – Emails from mailing lists, newsgroups, and other subscription-based services such as Google and Yahoo! Groups.
- Email Categorization (social media) – Notifications and other emails from social media sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn.
To view the message source, headers, and available options, double-click the message; the message content displays. You can take the following options:
- Click Source to view all headers
- Click Deliver to deliver the email to your regular mailbox
- Click Download to download the message to your local system or network
Click Whitelist to exempt the sender, that is, specify that all future mail from the sender is not quarantined and instead goes directly to your regular mailbox
Click Block and select whether to block the message Domain or Email
- Click Delete to remove the message
- Click Download to download and open the email
Figure 4. Message Source with Headers.
Set Quarantine Notification Interval
If the administrator has given you permissions to set your quarantine notification interval, you can specify whether to quarantine messages that would normally be blocked on the Settings > Quarantine Notifications page. Note that quarantined messages expire after 30 days.
You can direct the Barracuda Email Security Service to notify you by email when you have quarantined messages. On the Settings > Quarantine Notifications page, select Scheduled and click and drag in the Schedule notification intervals section to set the day and time for quarantine notification email delivery. Click to clear a selection. Click Save Changes to save your settings. Select Never if you do not want to receive quarantine notifications.
Figure 5. Set Quarantine Notification Interval.
Set Exempt and Blocklist Policies
Use the Sender Policy page to specify whether to block, allow, or quarantine messages from a specific sender or domain. These are called exempt/blocklist policies. To create a new policy:
- Go to Settings > Sender Policy page, and enter the email address or domain in the Sender field.
- From the Policy drop-down menu, select whether to Block, Exempt, or Quarantine the sender.
- Optionally, you can add a comment to indicate why you created the policy.
- Click Add to save the policy:
- To remove a policy, click Remove in the Actions column for the sender policy you want to remove.
Link Quarantine Accounts
You can add additional email addresses in the same domain for which quarantined email is to be forwarded to this account. From the Settings > Linked Accounts page, enter the email address in the Account field, select whether to Link account without verification, and click Add.
Change Your Password
Use the Settings > Change Password page to change your password. Click Save Changes to change your password.