Scope: The Barracuda Email Security Service (BESS)
The user list in BESS is primarily used so that users can log into the service. BESS will deliver mail to your users even if you do not create a user account for them in the system.
There are many ways to set up BESS to validate users it delivers mail for.
1. If your mail server performs Recipient Verification (rejects mail for invalid users at connection), then a user account is not required in BESS. BESS will only deliver mail to your mail server for recipients that your mail server says are valid. With recipient verification enabled, you can set the USERS:Default Policy to SCAN for users NOT in the userlist. This will ensure that all mail is delivered correctly to your mail sever.
2. You can create a user list which BESS can use to validate email addresses. There are three ways to create the user list in BESS:
- If your mail server does recipient verification as noted above you can, from the DOMAINS:Settings page, set "Automatically Add Users" to yes. If set to yes and BESS receives mail in 2 days over a 7 day period for a user, it will create a user account for that user.
- You can manually create your users from the USERS:Add/Update Users page. Enter one email address per line and click the Add button.
- You can use LDAP to generate the user list. You can setup the LDAP Sync settings on the "Domains"Settings" page.
If you have a complete valid user list in BESS, then you should set the Users:Default Policy to BLOCK for users not in the user list (note that this should only be set to BLOCK if the user list is complete). As noted above, if your mail server does verify recipients, and you are automatically creating users, this settings should be set to SCAN.
Link to This Page: