This article refers to the Barracuda Message Archiver version 4.0 or higher.
Before configuring the web interface, complete Step 2 - How to Configure the Barracuda Message Archiver.
Configure the Barracuda Message Archiver from the Web Interface
Verify the system accessing the web interface is connected to the same network as the Barracuda Message Archiver, and that the appropriate routing is in place to allow connection to the IP address of the Barracuda Message Archiver via a web browser.
Step 1. Verify Settings
- From a web browser, enter http:// followed by the IP address of the Barracuda Message Archiver, followed by the default Web Interface HTTP Port (:8000).
- Log in to the administration interface using admin for both the username and password.
- Go to the BASIC > IP Configuration page and perform the following steps:
- In the TCP/IP Configuration section, verify the IP address, netmask, default gateway for your Barracuda Message Archiver.
- Verify the primary and secondary DNS servers for your Barracuda Message Archiver.
- Enter the default hostname and default domain name of the Barracuda Message Archiver.
Step 2. Configure Administrative Settings
Go to the BASIC > Administration page and perform the following steps:
- (Optional but highly recommended for your security and protection) In the Password Change section, change the system password for the admin account.
- Verify the Time Zone; this setting determines the delivery times for messages. Note that the system reboots when the time zone is changed.
- Verify the Locale.
- (Optional but highly recommended for your security and protection) Specify the Administrator IP/Range addresses/networks that can access the administrative web interface for the Barracuda Message Archiver.
- In the Web interface Settings, you can change the port number used to access the Barracuda Message Archiver administration interface. The default port is 8000.
- Enter the Session Expiration Length (in minutes) for your web administration interface session; at expiration, you are required to log back in to the interface.
- (Optional) Specify SNMP access and notifications.
- In the Email Notifications section, enter the email addresses for your Administrator to receive system alerts, notifications, and other urgent communications from Barracuda Networks.
- (Optional) Specify your local SMTP server in the Outbound SMTP Host/Smart Host field, and associated Outbound SMTP Port.
- (Optional) Specify the data Rotation Threshold and Rotation End Point.
- (Optional) Specify whether to require Secondary Authorization for certain actions.
- Click Save.
After installation, your Energize Updates and other optional subscriptions must be activated to fully enable the Barracuda Message Archiver and to continue receiving the latest updates to all virus, policy, and document definitions from Barracuda Central. The Energize Updates service is responsible for downloading these updates to your Barracuda Message Archiver.
To activate your subscription status:
- At the top of every page, you may see the following warning:
- Click on the designated link to go to the Product Activation page in a new browser window.
- On the Product Activation page, fill in the required fields and click Activate. A confirmation page opens and displays the terms of your subscription.
- If your Barracuda Message Archiver cannot communicate directly to Barracuda Central servers, an Activation Code displays; enter this code in the Activation Code area using the steps described below in step 4.
- Return to the Barracuda Message Archiver administration interface and navigate to the BASIC > Status page. In the Subscription Status section, verify that the word Current appears next to Energize Updates, Instant Replacement Service (if purchased), and Premium Support (if purchased).
- There may be a delay of a few minutes for the display to reflect your updated subscription status. If the status continues to display as Unactivated, click Refresh in the Subscription Status section.
Use the following steps to update the firmware:
- Go to the ADVANCED > Firmware Update page, and verify the installed version matches the Latest General Release. The Download Now button next to Latest General Release is disabled if the Barracuda Message Archiver is up-to-date with the latest firmware.
- If the installed version does not match Latest General Release: read the release notes to learn about the latest features and fixes provided in the new firmware version, and click Download Now to begin the download. Updating the firmware may take several minutes; do not turn off the unit during this process. Click Refresh next to the firmware download progress to view the download status. A Firmware downloaded message displays once the download is complete, and Refresh is replaced by Apply Now.
- Click Apply Now when the download is complete.
- Click OK when prompted to reboot the Barracuda Message Archiver. A Status page displays the progress of the reboot. Once the reboot is complete, the login page appears.
To apply the newest definitions provided by Energize Updates:
- Go to the ADVANCED > Energize Updates page.
- Set Automatic Updates to On. The recommended setting is On for all available definitions.
- Verify the current version is the same as the latest general release. If the rules are not up-to-date, continue to the next step, otherwise definition update is complete.
- Click Update to download and install the latest available definitions to the Barracuda Message Archiver.
Continue with Step 4 - How to Configure Administrative Settings.