This article refers to the Barracuda Message Archiver firmware 5.1 or higher, and the Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In version 5.1 or higher. The Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In supports Outlook versions 2010, 2013, and 2016.
Verify the Message Archiver Outlook Add-In version (available for download on the USERS > Client Downloads page in the Barracuda Message Archiver web interface) is the same major revision as the Barracuda Message Archiver firmware for proper functionality. For best results, confirm you are using the latest Barracuda Message Archiver firmware and Message Archiver Outlook Add-In client version.
Firmware and Client Versions
Verify you are using the latest Barracuda Message Archiver firmware and Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In client versions available from USERS > Client Downloads.
If required Outlook components are missing or incorrectly installed, you may encounter the error Unable to initialize required components when performing some operations in the Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In.
To resolve this error, complete the following steps.
Use the steps outlined on the Microsoft Knowledgebase article Repair an Office application to repair your installation of Microsoft Outlook.
Verify that you have not installed Microsoft Office components from different versions of Microsoft Office. If you determine that different versions are installed, uninstall the Microsoft Office components, and then reinstall using only the Microsoft Office components that correspond with the desired version of Microsoft Outlook.
- Use the steps outlined on the Microsoft Knowledgebase to install the Microsoft Office Primary Interop Assemblies:
Completely uninstall Microsoft Outlook, restart your computer, and reinstall Microsoft Outlook.
Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In is Missing
If the Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In unexpectedly disappears, the tool may have been disabled due to system performance issues. To resolve this, first determine whether the Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In displays in the Slow and Disabled Add-ins, and then permanently enable the tool through the Account Information page. For example, in Office 2013:
- Open your Account Information, and click Slow and Disabled Add-ins:
- In the Disabled Add-ins dialog box, click Always enable this add-in:
- Click Close.
Missing Messages in Mailbox Stores
If an error occurs during mailbox store synchronization and messages that should be included in a folder are skipped, you can resynchronize a store to fill in the missing messages using the following steps:
- Log in to Outlook, and go to File > Barracuda Networks.
- Click Configure to the right of Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In.
- In the Configuration dialog box, right-click the mailbox store, and click Resync:
- The Resync verification message displays:
- Click OK to start mailbox store resyncing.
Unexpected Search Results
The administrator can associate an LDAP user or group to a role and list of email addresses in the USERS > LDAP User Add/Update page. If addresses are excluded, and a configured user runs a search through the Outlook Add-In, the following whitelist/blacklist rules apply:
- If an address is excluded (blacklisted), the address does not display unless the mail includes the user performing the search to assure that a user can always see their own mail.
- The exclusion rules always take precedence; addresses that are whitelisted are searchable only if the exclusion rules do not block the mail.
- If a user is not configured and is a member of a group, then the blacklist/whitelist rules assigned to that group apply to that user.
- If a user is assigned to a group, when the user logs in via the Outlook Add-In or Barracuda Message Archiver Mobile Application, only that user’s mail displays. For example, if an LDAP user has the Auditor role, mail available to the Auditor role does not display.
Contact your Barracuda Message Archiver administrator for exclusion rules.
Older Firmware Upgrade
For existing Outlook Add-in users, if your URI was originally set up via Group Policy on firmware version 3.1 or earlier, verify that the URI uses HTTPS. If the URI was set up using HTTP, update the URI. If the URI is not updated, users are automatically redirected to the secure, HTTPS protocol. This redirection may require an update to your network firewall rules to allow connectivity to complete on the secure port.
If you are unable to upgrade from an earlier version of the Outlook Add-In, you may have corrupted registry keys. For more information, see the Microsoft support article Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed.
The Outlook Add-In requires secure (HTTPS) connectivity to the Barracuda Message Archiver. If an insecure (HTTP) connection is attempted the Outlook Add-In is redirected to use https: with the configured secure port (the default port is 443). If users encounter a redirect failure, verify the following:
- The URI uses HTTPS and not HTTP
- The network firewall rules have been updated to allow connectivity to complete on the secure port
See Installing and Configuring the Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In for details on updating the URI.
Capturing Log Files
If requested to do so by Barracuda Networks Technical Support, use the following steps to capture the Barracuda Message Archiver Outlook Add-In log files:
- View Log File – Click to view the log file in Notepad. Save the file to your local system and email to your support representative.
- Send Log via Email – Click to attached the log files to an email. Email the log files to your support representative.
- Enable Debug Logging – If directed to do so by your support representative, click this option to enable debug logging for further troubleshooting.
To access the View Log option in Microsoft Office Outlook, go to File > Barracuda Networks, click View Log, and then select the desired action.