The solution applies to Barracuda SSL VPNs, firmware version 1.4.0.010 to 2.1.
The Unlimited Strength Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) policy files are not included with the Barracuda SSL VPN due to export restriction policies.
The Unlimited Strength JCE policy files are required for Certificate Authentication using a key size of 2048, there are also some occasions where they will be required when using a key size of 1024. If an action requires these files and they are not installed then an error message explaining the requirement is displayed.
It is possible to install the unlimited strength JCE policy files. Because this is a major change to the SSL VPN, you may want to contact Barracuda Networks Technical Support for assistance with uploading the policy files.
To install Unlimited Strength Java
Cryptography Extension files follow these instructions:
- Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp and download the JCE files (normally found in the Other Downloads section). Locate the local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar files in the download.
- On the SSL VPN go to Advanced > Configuration > Cryptography.
- Select the Manage JRE policy files option, in the new window select Upload Files.
- Upload the local_policy.jar and US_export_policy.jar files from the download, overwrite the existing files on the system.
- The SSL VPN will now require a service restart for the new files to take effect, once this is done the Unlimited Strength JCE files will be in use.
Link to This Page: