Use the steps in this article to set up your Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx.
Before You Begin
Deploy the Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx on your hypervisor. You will only need a single virtual NIC on your virtual appliance.
Step 1. Configure Your Firewall
You need to configure your network firewall to allow ICMP traffic to outside servers as well as opening port 443 to updates.cudasvc.com. You also need to make sure that your DNS servers can resolve updates.cudasvc.com.
Step 2. Start the Virtual Appliance, Configure Networking, and Enter the License
You should have received your Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx license token via email or from the website when you downloaded the Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx package. If not, you can request an evaluation on the Barracuda Networks website https://www.barracuda.com/purchase/evaluation or purchase one from https://www.barracuda.com/purchase/index. The license token looks similar to the following: 01234-56789-ACEFG.
- In your hypervisor client, start the virtual appliance and allow it to boot up.
- Log in to the console as admin with the password admin.
Arrow down to TCP/IP Configuration. Set the System IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Primary DNS Server, and Secondary DNS Server for your virtual appliance. These fields can later be edited if needed from the BASIC > IP Configuration page in the product web interface.
Arrow down to Licensing and enter your Barracuda Networks License Token and default domain to complete provisioning.
Arrow down to Save Changes and press Enter. The appliance will reboot at this time as a part of the provisioning process.
After the virtual appliance has finished rebooting, go to http://<your ip>:8000 to access the web interface and finalize configuration.
Step 3. Accept the End User License Agreement and Verify Configuration
- Go to http://<your ip>:8000 to access the web interface.
- Read through the End User License Agreement. Scroll down to the end of the agreement.
- Enter the required information: Name, Email Address, and Company (if applicable). Click Accept. You are redirected to the Login page.
Log into the Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx web interface as the administrator:
Password, which is the numeric part of the serial number. The serial number of your Vx is in your invoice and in your VM Setup email.
- Go to the BASIC > IP Configuration page and enter values for Default Hostname and Default Domain. For example, enter barracuda as the Default Hostname and <yourcompanydomain.com> as the Default Domain. These names will be associated with anti-spyware email notification messages from the virtual appliance.
- Note that, unlike the Barracuda Web Security Gateway appliance, there is no need or facility to set Operating Mode for the Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx. This is because, in Forward Proxy deployment, Audit mode works just like Active mode; traffic is logged and policies are applied.
- Click the Save Changes button to save all of the information.
Step 4. Update the Firmware
Navigate to the Advanced > Firmware Update page. If there is a new Latest General Release available, perform the following steps to update the system firmware:
Click on the Download Now button located next to the firmware version that you wish to install. To view download progress, click on the Refresh button. When the download is complete, the Refresh button will be replaced by an Apply Now button.
Click on the Apply Now button to install the firmware. This will take a few minutes to complete.
After the firmware has been applied, the Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx will automatically reboot, displaying the login page when the system has come back up.
Log back into the web interface again and read the Release Notes to learn about enhancements and new features. It is also good practice to verify settings you may have already entered, as new features may have been included with the firmware update.
Step 5. Change the Administrator Password
To avoid unauthorized use, we recommend you change the default administrator password to a more secure password. You can only change the administrator password for the web interface. Go to the BASIC > Administration page and enter your old and new passwords, then click on Save Password.
Continue with Directing Traffic to the Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx. See also Allocating Cores, RAM, and Hard Disk Space for Your Barracuda Web Security Gateway Vx.