Yosemite Server Backup 8.7 and newer
Any selectable object for backup below the computer object can be configured to create a new backup stream or use the existing one. This is best done on folders in the file system or on larger objects such as Exchange or SQL databases.
To create this configuration:
- Right-click on the object through the selection page of your backup job.
- Select Properties from the right-click menu.
- On the Properties window, select Storage from the pages on the left.
- On the right you will see the setting Backup stream, its options are as follows:
- Use existing stream - uses the stream associated with its parent object.
- Create new stream - creates a new stream for this object and all child objects.
The primary purpose to creating additional backup streams is to allow more data to be backed up at once. A maximum of eight streams can be streaming to any given device at any given moment. If more then eight streams are configured, the additional streams will wait until one of the existing streams has completed and then begin streaming to the device. It is important to note that the software by default creates one stream per physical disk in a machine. This is done to prevent disk thrashing.
Link to this page: