When you receive a notification that a backup or restore job has completed with errors or warnings, or you want to know why a backup job has a "Failed" or "Warning" status, you will need to look at the job's logs. You can view the logs for a job by looking them up in the management portal, however, if the logs cannot be retrieved from the portal, you will need to look them up in the Backup Monitor itself.
This guide will show you how to do both.
Viewing Logs in the Management Portal
- Log into the management portal and navigate to the computer account you want the job logs belong to.
- Go to the Activity tab on the computer account page and click on the Backup Set/Action you want to get the logs for.
- A window should pop-out to display the logs. You can expand individual log entries to get more detail, edit the backup set if you need to make any changes, or export the logs to a (.csv) file to better look over the logs if there are more than a few errors or warnings.
- If you get a message in this window similar to Logs are still being processed or Logs cannot be retrieved at this time, you will need to view the logs in the backup software.
Viewing Logs in the Backup Monitor
- To view the logs in the software, the Backup Monitor and go to the Activity tab.
- From there, click on the Browse Previous Actions link on the left to bring up the activity calendar. This calendar has a record of every action undertaken by the software (you may need to scroll up or down in the calendar to refresh the page).
To view the logs for a specific action, click on that action once to select it then double-click on it to open the logs. If you do not see the action from the monthly calendar view, you may have to right-click on the calendar and go to a specific day to see all the actions from that day.
- Once you double-click the action whose logs you want to view, they should appear with the corresponding Viewing log entries for action #___ message at the top.
With these logs, you can filter log entries by logging level. Uncheck the boxes on the left for Info, Warning, or Errors to filter out entries for those levels.
Job logs may have more than one page. Switch to a different page of the action's logs by using the drop-down at the top of the page.