Use retention policies to define the length of time you retain historic data based on daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly time intervals. Barracuda Backup retention policies can be created for different sets of data including virtual machines, data backed up by the Barracuda Backup Agent (Exchange, SQL, Hyper-V, System State), and email messages.
Barracuda Backup Agent, VMware, and Network File Share Data
Data backed up using these methods retains revision data based on the date the file is removed. For example, if a file was backed up on January 1 and the retention policy is configured to hold onto data for 7 daily revisions, if the file is modified or removed at any point, the revision is held onto for 7 additional days after this action.
To retain weekly, monthly, and yearly revisions, Barracuda Backup ages forward files that are not created specifically at the end of the week, month, or year to be recoverable as part of these revisions.
You can create one policy for all of the computers and data sources on Barracuda Backup or create multiple policies for each data source. Use the Backup > Retention Policy page to define content retention rules:
- Policy Name – Enter an identifying name for the policy
Items to Retain – Displays all data sources on the selected Barracuda Backup Server. Select all of the items you want to include in the retention policy.
Retention Timeline – Define how historic data is retained.
- Timeline Templates – Select from the pre-defined templates which you can modify, or create your own custom timeline. The Revisions Timeline and Retention Calendar display the timeline based on the selected template.
Revisions Timeline – Define how long to keep daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly backups.
Keep all revisions for – Specify the number of day(s) to keep all content revisions, or select never or forever.
- Keep daily revisions for – Specify how long to keep daily revisions. Specify a number of day(s), never, or forever.
- Keep weekly revisions for – Specify how long to keep weekly revisions. Specify a number of week(s), never, or forever. Turn on offsite only to use Barracuda Offsite Vaulting.
- Keep monthly revisions for – Specify how long to keep monthly revisions. Specify a number of month(s), never, or forever. Turn on offsite only to use Barracuda Offsite Vaulting.
Keep yearly revisions for – Specify how long to keep yearly revisions. Specify a number of years(s), never, or forever. Turn on offsite only to use Barracuda Offsite Vaulting.
- Retention Calendar – Display the timeline based on the values in the Revisions Timeline. Click Show previous years to view prior year retention timelines.
- Email Messages Timeline (available for message-level backup only) – Specify the number of day(s), week(s), month(s), years(s), never, or forever to retain removed email messages.