Email Gateway Defense protects both inbound and outbound email against the latest spam, viruses, worms, phishing, denial of service attacks and zero-day threats. Email Gateway Defense is a pass-through service, acting as a filter in front of your hosted email service or servers.
The following features are available in Email Gateway Defense:
- Receives inbound email on behalf of your organization, insulating your mail server from receiving direct Internet connections and associated threats.
- Uses content filtering to identify and block unwanted email messages before accepting the message body for further processing.
- Utilizes inbound and outbound rate controls to protect your email infrastructure from automated spam software, and then performs further analysis on the IP addresses of emails.
- Provides Sender Authentication, such as Sender Policy Framework (SPF), for inbound mail to validate senders; applies policies and predictive sender profiling to identify sender behavior and reject connections and/or messages from spammers.
- Utilizes three layers of virus scanning: open-source virus definitions from open-source community, proprietary virus definitions from Barracuda Central, and Barracuda Real-Time System (BRTS) which provides fingerprint analysis, virus protection, and intent analysis.
- Applies the patent-pending Barracuda Antivirus Supercomputing Grid, protecting your network from polymorphic viruses.
- Offers subscription-based Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) to analyze inbound email attachments in a separate secured cloud environment to detect new threats.
- Sends quarantine and content blocking notifications to users.
- Provides several types of encryptions for inbound and outbound message traffic.