- netfence firmware versions 4.2.x
The netfence gateway does not boot though installation has completed flawlessly. Possibly, the LILO prompt is displayed.
When this error arises, an USB-floppy disk has most possibly been used for installing an SCSI, SATA or SAS system. Because the USB-floppy disk is treated as SCSI-device, the system's boot device cannot be recognised and addressed correctly.
Approach installation as follows when installing SCSI, SATA or SAS systems as netfence gateways. (This instruction applies to both, full installation and installation with PAR file.)
1. Install the netfence gateway using the USB-floppy disk, notwithstanding the boot loader will not be written.
2. Boot the system from Gateway-CD with the boot parameter "phion rescue". Disregard all error messages. A prompt will finally be displayed expecting input.
3. Execute the following commands:
4. Remove the CD and reboot the system.
5. Log in with user "root" and password "default".
6. Mount the USB-floppy disk.
mount /dev/sdb /mnt/floppy
7. a) If you have executed a full installation with kickstart file, copy the files from the floppy disk to the netfence system.
cp /mnt/floppy/* /opt/phion/config/configroot/
cp /mnt/floppy/* /opt/phion/config/active/
7. b) If you have installed the system using a PAR file, copy the PAR file from the floppy disk to the netfence system.
cp /mnt/floppy/box_*.par /opt/phion/update/box.par
8. Reboot the system.