Call parking extensions allow easy parking and retrieval of incoming calls without an actual call queue. For example, a receptionist who frequently answers calls can park them, then use an intercom page to announce that the call is holding for a person or a department.
A call parking destination actually contains three different types of extensions:
- Automatic Parking Extension – This is the first extension of a block of call parking destinations. To park the call, you can perform an attended transfer to this extension and the system will return the specific extension number from which the call can be retrieved.
- Automatic Retrieval Extension – This is the last extension of a block of call parking destinations. Anyone who calls this extension is automatically connected to the parked call in the lowest-numbered extension.
- Manual Parking/Retrieval Extension – These are the middle extensions of a block of call parking destinations. Any call transferred to an unoccupied extension can be retrieved from that slot. Any call made or transferred to an occupied extension will be bridged to the call parked there. The slot (extension) becomes free as soon as the parked call is bridged.
When you use manual or automatic retrieval extensions, you may call the extensions, or you may transfer a caller to the extension. Users must be careful when doing a transfer! It is entirely possible to bridge together two external callers by transferring them both to the same call parking extension.
Adding Call Parking Extensions
Navigate to Extensions > Call Parking Extensions and click Add New Parking Extension. Give the parking extension a name, choose a music-on-hold (MOH) scheme to use, and select an extension number. Once the parking extension has been created it appears in the list of call parking extensions.
Editing Call Parking Extensions
Select a parking extension from the list to view its configuration. The system displays:
- Automatic Parking Extension
- Manual Parking/Retrieval Extension(s)
- Automatic Retrieval Extension
You can also modify the following configuration options:
- Rename – Rename the parking extension
- Delete – Delete the parking extension from the system
- Music On Hold – Modify the MOH settings for callers parked here