All Barracuda Phone Systems, all firmware versions.
In order for your Barracuda Phone System to use your Knology account, you must add it as a SIP Provider. You will also need to configure the WAN port settings, and set a static route.
You will need the the following information, which Knology should provide for you:
Local IP Address, Subnet, and Gateway address to use.
SIP Host Server Address
Phone Numbers (DIDs) being delivered.
Once you have this information, you can configure the connection in a few steps.
Configuring your Network Settings to Use your Knology Trunk:
Knology uses a dedicated network connection for SIP traffic. In most cases, we will need to configure the WAN port to handle the VoIP traffic.
you can do this by following the directions for Option 2 in Solution #00005364. You will need to use the Local IP address, Subnet, and Gateway address provided by Knology for the WAN Port.
Solution #00005364 - How should I configure the network settings on my Barracuda Phone System?
Adding a Static Route for Knology:
Knology will require a static route in order to route VoIP traffic to the correct Gateway.
- Navigate to Configuration > Network, and scroll to the section labeled Static Routes.
- Click the button labeled Add a Static Route.
- Enter the SIP Host Server address in the field marked IP Address.
- Enter 255.255.255.255 (Single Host) in the field labeled Subnet Mask.
- Enter the WAN Port Gateway Address in the field labeled Subnet Gateway.
Adding the Knology Provider Account:
Navigate to Providers and select Setup A New Account. Enter the following information in the entry box which appears:
- For provider, choose Generic SIP (callerID in from behind same NAT) from the drop down list.
- Enter a name which you will recognize in the Name field.
- Enter the SIP Host Server address in the field marked Host. This should auto-fill the same data in the field named Realm.
- Leave the field named Port set to 5060.
- Enter N/A in the field named Username. This should auto-fill the same data in the field named Authorization Username.
- Enter N/A in the field labeled Password.
- Enter the Primary Phone Number for this account (usually your main business number) in the field labeled Caller ID. This will be the fall-back Caller ID for outbound calls.
- Make sure to Un-check the box labeled Requires Registration.
- Click the Box labeled Install.
Knology delivers all calls using 10-digit DIDs. You will need to assign these numbers in the account so that the Barracuda Phone System knows to expect them. You can accomplish this by completing the following steps:
- Navigate to Providers and click on the Knology account you created in the previous steps
- Scroll down to the section labeled External Numbers and click on the Entry Box.
- Enter your assigned DIDs (phone numbers) in the box, separated by a comma or a return. The DIDs MUST be formatted as <area code><number>, for example 7345551212.
- Click the button labeled ADD to complete the entry process
Please reference Solution#00004845 for instructions on how to assign routes for inbound calls.
Assign Outbound Dialing Rules:
Knology accounts require 10+ Digit dialing in order to place outbound calls. For these accounts, we can add built-in outbound dialing rules.
Navigate to Providers, click on the Knology account you created in the previous steps.
Select 10 Digit Dialing from the dropdown list and click the button labeled ADD.
Select 11 Digit Dialing from the dropdown list and click the button labeled ADD.
If your users are used to 7 Digit dialing, Select 7-digit Dialing (area code XXX) from the dropdown list and click the button labeled ADD.
If you intend to allow International dialing, Select International Dialing (011) from the dropdown list and click the button labeled ADD.
If Knology has enabled your E911 service, Select Emergency (USA) from the dropdown list and click the button labeled ADD.
Link to this page: