Applies to Barracuda Phone System, versions 3.0 and up.
In some cases, you may want to provide a voicemail login extension to provide the ability for your users to access voice mail when they are away from their phones. Setting this up is a simple process that only requires a few steps.
Creating a Voice Mail Login Extension:
- From the Barracuda Phone System UI, navigate to Extensions > Advanced Call Routers.
- Click the button labeled Create New Advanced Call Router.
- Enter a recognizable name for your voice mail login extension and select either First Free Extension or Single Extension from the Extension drop down list. Create an appropriate name for your voicemail action set as well.
- Click Create to finish.
Configuring the Voice Mail Login Extension:
- From the Barracuda Phone System UI, Navigate to Extensions > Advanced Call Routers.
- Click on the name of the voice mail login router that you created.
- Look for the section labeled Default Action and edit the default action by clicking the link labeled Edit on the center of the section.
- Look for the Final Action section and in the drop down menu labelled If the call is not answered, select Transfer to Voice Mail Login Prompt.
- Click Save at the top right
Enabling Access to Your Voice Mail Extension Remotely:
In order to provide access remotely, we will need to provide an inbound route to the extension. We can choose one of the following two methods for users to access their voicemail remotely:
- Navigate to your automated Attendant, if you use one, and assign one of the key options to "Transfer to an Extension or Number" using the extension of the voice mail login extension
- Assign a number directly to the voicemail login extension by navigating to the bottom of the page and assigning the external number as a Secondary Extension.
Accessing Your Voice Mail Extension Remotely:
When the voice mail login is dialed, it will prompt for a username, which is the extension of the user's phone, and then for their password. Once logged in, they should be able to use the voicemail system as they normally would from their desk. The directions for using the voice mail system can be downloaded at https://www.barracuda.com/assets/docs/Datasheets/CudaTel_Voicemail_QRG.pdf
Link to this page: