This solution applies to Spectralink 8400 Series Phones connecting to Barracuda Phone Systems.
Answer:Registering you Polycom Spectralink 8400 Series phone to the Barracuda Phone System can be done in a few steps. There are, however, a few considerations whenever adding a wireless phone to the device:
- Type of wireless network - Network speed strongly affects performance. An 802.11b network will have significantly more network loss than an 802.11g network.
- Number of wireless clients - Wireless networking is shared bandwidth. Performance will decrease as wireless clients are added.
- External Signal Interference - Wireless networks are strongly affected by signal interference, or even building structure (walls, floors, furniture)
- Proximity - Wireless speed and quality decreases proportionally to the distance from the Access Point.
Creating a generic SIP account for the phone:
The first step to configure you Spectralink phone is to create a generic SIP Device account for it. Each phone will have to have it's own unique account
Please review Solution #00005411 if you are unfamiliar with how to create a Generic SIP account.
Polycom Recommended Phone Deployment:
Polycom recommends using the Polycom Provisioning server for phone deployment on the network. This method is required in order to use many of the advanced features of the phone (example: push-to-talk, xml applications/browser, or barcode scanning). Please refer to the Polycom Spectralink deployment guide for instructions on deployment using this method.
Configuration Directly From the Phone:
These instructions are for a phone already connected to the Wireless network. Please refer to the Polycom Sprectralink deployment guide for instructions on configuring networking on your phone.
- Enter the IP address of the Spectralink phone in you browser window and log in to the UI.
- you can find the IP address from the phone handset by pressing Menu > Status > Platform > Phone
- The default login is User - Polycom -- Password - 456
- Digitmap - enter the following line: x.T|*x.T|**x.T|**x.*x.T
- SIP Server Address - This will be the IP Address listed for the BPS in the generic SIP account.
- SIP Server Port - Enter 5065
- SIP Outbound Proxy (if needed) - This will be the IP Address listed for the BPS in the generic SIP account.
- SIP Outbound Proxy Port (if needed) - Enter 5065
- Display Name - The user name listed on the Primary Extension we are adding the phone to.
- Address - The Auth Username for the Generic SIP device.
- authentication User ID - The Auth Username for the Generic SIP device.
- Authentication Password - The Password for the Generic SIP Device.
- Label - Please enter the extension assigned to the phone.
Link to this page: