All Barracuda Phone Systems.
The Barracuda Phone System selects outbound CallerID by applying the most specific number, unless overridden. This uses the following order
- User External Number (Most Specific)
- Group CallerID (More Specific)
- Default CallerID set at the provider (Least Specific)
The default CallerID setting at the provider applies to any call which uses the gateway. There are three options which determine the behavior as the call passes through this gateway, listed below:
- Never Send a custom Caller ID - This will use the phone's extension as the callerID. (This can also be set by setting the route type, found under Providers > Call Routing > Manage types, to internal).
- Use Custom CallerID unless overridden - This option will use the default CallerID entered in the text box, unless a more specific option is set. This is usually set as the primary advertised number.
- Always use a custom Caller ID - This will always send the number entered in the text box above, regardless of other settings.
Group Caller ID
If a user is a member of a group that has outbound callerID set, this will override the provider callerID, if allowed, because the group is considered more specific than any system call.This setting can be found by navigating to Extensions > Groups > (Group Name) and entering the desired value in the field Group Member Outbound CallerID Number.
User Caller ID
If an external number is assigned to ring directly to a single user, this number is considered a direct DID, and will be set as outbound CallerID. This setting overrides provider (if allowed) and group CallerID as it is the most specific setting for callerID. This is set by navigating to Extensions > People > (Person's Name) > Secondary Numbers and Extensions and assigning the External number by selecting External number for extension type,and then selecting an available extension from the list that appears.
Important Note - The Barracuda Phone System is designed to support a single external number assignment to each endpoint. While a second Direct Inward Dial can be assigned as an external number, there is currently no way to select which callerID is used among those two, and the BPS will select the first number added to the system from the list assigned as the default for outbound calls. A work araound to this scenario is to add the primary External number directly to the user, and then to add additional numbers to an inbound call router which forwards the call to the User's extension using the "Calling Sequence" action.
Custom Caller ID Scenarios:
Barracuda recommends setting the provider to use default callerID unless overridden, There are a few scenarios where other settings may be needed:
- If the provider gateway is a direct link to another internal unit, the preferred option may be to never use the custom callerID, and rely on internal extension only.
- If your provider does not allow foreign CallerID and does not support referral, find me may not work as it forwards the callers number as the primary ID. In this case, the desired option may be to forward the primary CallerID from the provider settings only by forcing it (always send custom CallerID).
- Some companies may prefer to only deliver the primary number to customers. In this scenario, the desired option may be to forward the primary CallerID from the provider settings only by forcing it (always send custom CallerID).
Link to this page: