Applies to Barracuda Phone System, firmware version 2.6 and above.
Answer:The most important component of the phone system is the phones. On the Barracuda Phone System, unassigned phones do not have rights to make calls, and can only receive inbound calls. In order for outbound calls to be placed from a phone, it must be assigned to a user. The process of doing this is straightforward, and can be done in a few steps.
Adding a Phone to a User:
- Navigate to Extensions > People and click on the person for whom you need to add a phone.
- Click on the icon labelled "add a phone".
- Selecting an unassigned phone will, for supported phones, assign this phone to the user and provision it with the correct settings automatically.
- Generic SIP Devices will create a phone account with credentials to manually configure a non-provisioning model phone.
- Phone by MAC address, for supported phones, will reserve the phone for the user and provision it with the correct settings automatically when it connects the first time.
SIP Device Configuration
Left clicking on an existing device will open a new phone management window. The following information is available from the phone management window:
Device information section:
- Phone Name - Assignable Name for the device
- Special Configurable Options - Configurable, model dependent, options for the phone such as the number of installed Sidecars, or the DECT% ID of an assigned Wireless handset.
- Hardware MAC Address - The reported MAC address of the device, for identification
- Last Registration - The last reported Registration of the device
- Last known IP address - The IP address used the last time the device Provisioned or Registered.
This section of the window includes any line or button configuration. Each device's support Line/Utility Button options will be available in the configuration section.
The following fields are available:
- Key – This notes the Key number for the assignment. These keys are assigned in a chronological order starting with the line 1 button and ascending through the keys. Speed dial/ BLF, or sidecar buttons will follow immediately after the last assigned line button.
- Status – Shows where the assigned option is active, inactive or in error.
- Label (if Available) - Sets the display text for the button.
- Function or Extension - Selects the type of function assigned to the Button/Key. Available options will differ by Model and include Line, repeat line, BLF/Appearance, Transfer, or Shared Line.
- Line Aliases - Any Assigned Aliases assigned directly to the button itself.
- Shared Line (If available) - Allows phone to update on it's current use status by selecting Share Line. If barge is available, selecting Barge will allow Line sharers to answer an in-use line.
- Utilities - Testing utilities available, such as an echo test call.