Install the client configuration file for the Network Connector to use the client in stand-alone mode. The Windows client can be configured to auto-launch the Network Connector and connect to the L2TP/IPsec VPN on the Barracuda SSL VPN as soon as the user logs into the Windows account.
Before you begin
Install the Network Connector on the Windows client. Make sure that you also download and install the client configuration file for your L2TP/IPsec VPN. For more information, see Using the Network Connector with Microsoft Windows.
Step 1. Copy the Network Connector GUI to the Startup folder
Copy the Network Connector GUI shortcut to the startup folder of your Windows client.
- Copy the Network Connector GUI shortcut from the desktop or your start bar.
- Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.
- Paste the shortcut into your startup folder.
The Network Connector now automatically launches when you log in.
Step 2. Add the connection profile
Add the VPN configuration file (in this example: Lan1Client) to the connection path. This file is a part of the configuration files that are installed when setting up the Network Connector in stand-alone mode on the Windows client (see Step 2 in Using the Network Connector with Microsoft Windows).
- Right-click the shortcut you just placed into the startup folder, and click Properties.
--connect LAN1Client.ovpnto the end of the Target:
This tells the Network Connector which profile to connect to on startup.
Step 3. Set the connection details
Enter the connection details in the directory where the configuration files reside:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Barracuda\Network Connector\config\LAN1 Client.
- Create a new text document and name it
- Inside this file, type your username on the first line and password on the second line.
- Right-click the LAN1 Client file, select Rename, and remove the space so it will now be LAN1Client.
Step 4. Add the password file to the OVPN file
Add the location and name of the password file to the .ovpn file.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Barracuda\Network Connector\config\
- Edit the LAN1Client.ovpn file.
auth-user-pass password.txtto the end of the file.
- Save the file.
Log out and back into your Windows client. The Network Connector automatically launches and connects to your L2TP/IPsec VPN on the Barracuda SSL VPN.