This article explains how to create, edit, or delete rules. You may want to refer to Creating Rules for the Barracuda Web Security Service which explains some considerations before creating rules.
To create a rule, you need to be logged in to your customer account at Barracuda Networks. In the Barracuda Web Security Service Manager interface, click the Rules tab, Click Add New Rule.then do the following steps:
Enter a Name for the new rule.
In the Applies To area, select who the rule Applies To:
- Everyone—Applies the rule to all users in a network. Unless you have configured authentication, this is your only option. To configure authentication, refer to How to Configure Authentication or Authentication with the Barracuda Web Security Service Connector.
- New Group—Type the name of the new group. Use alphanumeric characters only; do not use special characters. To add users to this group later, you can go to CONFIGURATION > Group Management and add users to the group.
- Existing Group—Click in the text box to search for a group. Type the first three letters of the group you want to find, and then click on the Group name to select it.
- IP Addresses—Type the IP address or subnet and two-digit CIDR prefix length. For multiple entries, click Add IP.
- To create a rule for an individual user, either create a group specifically for that user or (if the user has a static IP address) use their IP address.
In the Threat Prevention area, select threat categories you want to include in this rule:
- Purewire Intelligence
- WebDAV/DLL Exploit
There are two ways an Administrator can override a block of a URL that is included as a Malicious Site in Rules > Threat Prevention > Purewire Intelligence area. Edit the rule and either:
- Press the Ctrl key and click on the Malicious Sites option to deselect it, or
- Add the URL to the Whitelist in the Rules > Advanced > Exceptions area.
Whitelist and Blacklist of Websites
Schedules and Quotas
Actions on Violation of the Rule
When you are finished creating the rule, click Save Changes.
In the Barracuda Web Security Service Manager, click the Rules tab.
Click on the name of the rule you want to edit.
In the Rules Edit page, make your changes.
When you are finished, click Save Changes.
Disabling or Deleting Rules
To disable or delete a rule:
In the Barracuda Web Security Service Manager click the Rules tab.
- To disable the rule, select the Disable check box.
- To delete the rule, click the delete icon next to the rule in the Delete column.
The Barracuda Web Security Service Manager prompts you to confirm your choice.