The suite is installed on endpoint machines either manually by command line, or using tools such as RMM or GPO. See also How to Deploy the Barracuda Content Shield Suite Using RMM Solutions and How to Deploy the Barracuda Content Shield Suite via GPO.
The suite includes the following components:
- Malware Prevention Component (MPC) – Local file risk analysis, checking against known malware signatures to provide an additional layer of Malware Prevention. Note that this component is installed, but gets disabled if you set Malware Prevention to Disabled on the THREAT POLICY page.
- Web Filtering Component (WFC) – Content protection for web traffic.
For manual installation on one of the endpoint machines:
- Log into your Barracuda Content Shield account.
- Go to the Downloads page.
- Click Download to download the Windows Agent installer. The installer file is named
Click Account Configuration File to download the configuration file. This file is named
bcs.key. The configuration file is picked up by the installer when you run it. Put this file and the installer file in the same folder on the endpoint computer.
- Run the
BarracudaContentShieldSetup-[version].exeexecutable on the endpoint, accept the license agreement, and follow the prompts in the wizard to install.
- After browsing for the
bcs.keyfile on the Locate Account Configuration screen, the wizard presents a Setup Type dialog with options for Complete or Custom installations:
- Select Complete to install both the Web Filtering and Malware Prevention components, – OR –
- Select Custom to install either one of the components if you don't want to install both
Managed Deployment Using RMM or GPO
You can either use an RMM or GPO to install and distribute to endpoint machines if you don't want to do manual installations. If you use an RMM or GPO, make sure to indicate that the installer (
exe) and the configuration file (
bcs.key) must be in the same folder. See How to Deploy the Barracuda Content Shield Suite Using RMM Solutions and How to Deploy the Barracuda Content Shield Suite via GPO for details.
Upgrade Using Windows
When you run the Windows installer, if there is a newer version of the Barracuda Content Shield Suite, you will see the Upgrade button in the installer Welcome screen. Click Upgrade and follow the wizard prompts. This will only upgrade features you have installed.
Command Line Installation / Upgrade / Uninstallation (silent)
See command line syntax and examples of each process in the table below.
To install from the command line on one of the endpoint machines:
- Follow steps 1-4 above.
From the command line, run the appropriate command from the examples in the table below, depending on your scenario.
Note: For KEYPATH = "path/to/bcs.key" , replace the example in italics with the path to the
bcs.keyfile. For USER_PASS, enter the password you created on the AGENT SETTINGS page for Allow Agent Removal.
Install / uninstall complete suite
(both WFC and MPC)
|Uninstall, and then reboot the endpoint machine|
BarracudaContentShieldSetup-[version].exe USER_PASS="my_password" /remove /silent & shutdown /r /t 0
|Only install MPC|
|Only install WFC|
|Upgrade the suite|
Upgrade the suite to the latest version