The Barracuda Domain Controller (DC) Sync Tool can be installed either on an AD server or on a device that has direct access to the AD server. The tool periodically checks the domain controller for changed user and group information as well as group memberships. The lists of users, groups, and memberships are provided to Barracuda Content Shield (BCS) via your Barracuda Cloud Control (BCC) account.
Before configuring the Barracuda DC Sync Tool, make sure that your system meets the following requirements:
Local Installation – Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2 or 2016. Windows Server Core is not supported for local installation and monitoring. The DC Sync Tool can, however, communicate with a domain controller that is running Windows Server Core. In this case, you could install the DC Sync Tool on a server running Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, or 2016 and configure it to remotely monitor a domain controller that is running on a Windows Server Core machine.
Remote Installation – Microsoft Windows 2008 and higher. Also note that, for the remote installation of DC Sync Tool, you MUST be a domain member to query the server.
You can either install the DC Sync Tool on an AD server or on a device that has direct access to the AD server.
Get and Install the Barracuda DC Sync Tool for BCS
- Log into you BCS account.
- Go to the USERS page and click on Directory Sync Tool.
- Click DOWNLOAD DIRECTORY SYNC TOOL and follow instructions to install the tool on your computer.
- Go to the DOWNLOADS page. Click ACCOUNT CONFIGURATION FILE to download the key file. Click Save File if you are prompted by your browser to do so. This file is named
bcs.key, and the installer wizard will prompt you to locate this file during the installation process.
How to Uninstall the Barracuda DC Sync Tool
- Verify that the Barracuda DC Sync Tool is not running.
- Use the Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features tool in the Windows Control Panel to uninstall the Barracuda DC Sync Tool for BCS.