A backup job is started and does not appear to be making any progress. When checking the status of the backup job in the View Current Activity section (under Activity) of the monitor, the job appears to be in the Initialize phase. It may stay in this phase for an extended period of time or indefinitely.
You have to take some initializing steps before the backup job can run. If one of those steps cannot finish properly or the backup software hangs on one of them, the backup job stays in the initializing phase. Those initial tasks include:
- Running a test connection to the Intronis servers
- Performing a lock file check
- Checking the validity of the catalog
- Testing the temporary folder
To find the process or task obstructing the backup job progress, run similar tasks to see if they can be carried out successfully in isolation. This should help you narrow down the problem scope and help resolve the issue quickly.
Run a Test Connection
Run a test connection using the instructions here. If you encounter problems in the test connection, see these resources for troubleshooting help:
- Test Connection Fails With Incorrect Password
- Test Connection Fails in Upload Phase
- Test Connection Fails With Exception Thrown
Check Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
WMI is used by the backup software to carry out system tasks and retrieve system parameters used in backups. You can use the following method to get a rough idea of whether or not WMI is working.
- Run wmimgmt.msc to open up Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).
- Right-click WMI Control (Local) and click Properties.
A successful query of the WMI service and its properties looks like this:
- If the window which pops up reports any errors or does not show up at all (hangs on "Connecting to Windows Management...") this indicates WMI is broken. Please consult Microsoft's documentation for fixing WMI.
Restart the Backup Agent Service
Occasionally processes within the backup software may hang or fail to complete entirely, rendering dependent actions inoperable. It is always advised to restart the Backup Agent service to eliminate this as a possibility when troubleshooting problems such as this.
The last thing you can try doing before reaching out to Intronis Support would be repairing .NET. Go through the steps in this article to fix any .NET-related issues.