This guide will show you how to put a SQL database into the Simple Recovery Model. Having a database in this recovery model is required in order to take differential backups (instead of just full backups).
- Open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Log into the SQL instance containing the database you want to back up.
- Expand the Databases folder to show the database you want.
- Right-click on the database and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, select the Options page on the left.
- Then change the Recovery model: field to Simple and click OK at the bottom.