You can transfer roles, rights, and users between different installations of ArchiveOne. The configuration is encapsulated by two files, each of which can be exported from one installation and imported into another:
- A Role Permissions file with extension .C2Croles – Contains the configuration of roles and rights, specifically the rights assigned to user-defined roles in the Role Definition dialog.
- A Web Role Permissions file with extension .C2Cwebroles – Contains the configuration of roles and rights, specifically the rights assigned to Using Widgets.
- A Role Assignment file with extension .C2Cusers – Contains the configuration of users, roles and objects, specifically the list of users and rights on the General Role Assignment and the Role Assignment dialogs for all objects. Transfer this between ArchiveOne installations in the same security environment (such as a trusted domain).
When exporting, you can use these or other names, but you must specify the directory you want them to be written into. When importing, select the previously exported files.
Import Configuration File Considerations
Take caution when importing these configuration files. Specifically:
- If you import a Role Permissions file (.C2Croles), it overwrites the existing roles and rights configuration. If you have defined a role and assigned it to a user, then imported a SecRolesPerms.C2Croles file which does not include that role, there may be unexpected behavior.
- If you import a Role Assignment file (.C2Cusers) into a different security environment such as an untrusted domain, none of the users defined in the file are recognized by ArchiveOne and do not relate to any user of ArchiveOne Admin in that domain. If a user is assigned to a role that does not exist in the system being imported, the default role is used.
- If you are planning to import both files into a system, you should import the Role Permissions file first to establish the roles, and then the Role Assignment file to establish the knowledge of who has those roles. If you import them the other way around, the users named in the Role Assignment file may be assigned roles that do not yet exist, and will instead use the default role.
- Importing either file does not affect the list of users in the ArchiveOne Users Group. If you export role data from one system then import into another system that has some users in common with the first and others not in common, then no update to the ArchiveOne Users Group occurs, and the roles information for users not in the new system are discarded.
Whenever you import either file, the old file data is automatically saved to the ArchiveOne Admin installation directory, with a filename ending with the date and time of the import. You can use this file to revert to a known working configuration. For example: SecRolesPerms_050901145146.C2Croles