This article refers to the Barracuda Backup Legacy Release firmware or newer, except where noted.
Bare metal recovery allows you to restore a complete Microsoft Windows system, including data, settings, applications, and operating system, onto a new computer on which nothing is installed.
You must have an existing backup of a system that uses one of the following Microsoft operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows Server 2016
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 2008 Server
- Windows Small Business Server 2011
- Windows Small Business Server 2008
- Windows Vista
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
Additionally, you must have all of the following:
- Barracuda Backup Server firmware version 6.1 or higher;
- Barracuda Backup Bare Metal Live CD 6.1 or higher (available from the System > Software Downloads page); and
- Administrator rights to the Microsoft Exchange Server.
Bare Metal Live CD
Use the following steps to download the Bare Metal Live CD boot media; select the appropriate bit version for the OS you are planning to restore. For example, if you are restoring a 64-bit operating system, you must use the 64-bit version.
- Log in to Barracuda Backup and go to System > Software Downloads. Download the Bare Metal Live ISO file to your local system.
- Burn the Bare Metal Live ISO file to a CD.
- Boot the system you want to restore using the Bare Metal Live CD you created in step 2.
- Read the onscreen warning:
- To continue with the Bare Metal restore, click Next.
- Set up the Network configuration:
- If you have DHCP enabled on your network, an assigned IP address displays in the IP Address field.
- If DHCP is not enabled, clear DHCP, and enter the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway:
- Click Next. You are prompted to log in to Barracuda Backup:
- In the Barracuda Backup web interface, go to the Restore > Restore Browser page and select the system you want to recover.
- Click View all revisions up to: <date> to view the selected system's revisions available for restore:
- In the Revisions list, click Restore for the revision you want to recover.
- In the Restore dialog box, click the Restore tab, and enter the IP address of the system you are recovering in the Restore to section:
- Click Start Restore.
For the system booted using the Bare Metal Live CD, a list of volumes that are recoverable displays:
Select the volumes you want to recover.
(Firmware version 6.3.02 and higher only) You are presented with the option to select which disks you want to include/exclude when determining disk repartition. To exclude a destination disk, clear the checkbox next to the disk name:
Click Yes to confirm your selection:
An additional warning displays; click Yes if you want to proceed:
- Click Next to begin the restore:
- When the restore is complete, click OK in the Confirmation dialog box.
- Remove the bare Metal Live CD, and reboot the system.