The bare metal recovery method can be used to recover entire Microsoft Windows systems in the event the system has completely failed and no other recovery options are available. With a bare metal recovery, all data, settings, applications, and operating system are installed to a bare metal system (no operating system installed).
In order to perform a bare metal restore, all system volumes and the system state must be backed up on the data source. Bare metal restore requires that the target system is exact or similar hardware to the originally backed up system (source). Bare metal restore supports the following Microsoft Windows operating systems:
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
Bare Metal Live ISO
Bare metal restore uses Barracuda's Bare Metal Live ISO, which the target system boots off of to create an environment that Barracuda Backup can restore to. Download the Bare Metal Live ISO from the System > Software Downloads page. Select the appropriate version, 32-bit or 64-bit, depending on the system you are restoring. Once downloaded, the Bare Metal Live ISO file can be used on a bootable disk or flash drive.
Once the Bare Metal Live ISO is applied to bootable media and the target system is booted from that, perform bare metal recovery of a Microsoft Windows system using the following steps:
- The Bare Metal Restore Utility welcome/warning screen displays. Ensure that no data is present on the target system, and click Next:
- On the Network Configuration screen, choose a network interface, configure an IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway:
- Click Next. The Awaiting connection screen displays:
- Log in to the Barracuda Backup local or cloud interface, and go to the Restore > Restore Browser page.
- Click Restore to the right of the Microsoft Windows system you want to restore. If you want to restore to a different backup revision of the system other than the latest, click on the system, and click View all revisions up to: <date>, and click Restore next to the backup revision:
- In the Restore dialog box, select Other Hostname or IP Address, and type the IP Address configured for the target system in the Bare Metal restore Utility:
- Click Start Restore.
After several minutes the target system should receive the restore job from Barracuda Backup and display a list of recoverable volumes:
Select the volumes you want to recover.
Click Next to begin the system restore:
When the restore is complete, click OK in the Confirmation dialog box.
Remove the bare Metal Live CD, and reboot the system.