Firmware Upgrade Policy
Barracuda Backup requires an Energize Updates subscription for firmware upgrades and Technical Support. Energize Updates are also required to maintain compatibility with the Barracuda Backup Cloud (accessed through login.barracuda.com). Barracuda Backup performs updates to the cloud to maintain compatibility with the latest legacy, general, or early release firmware versions. Barracuda Backup devices with expired Energize Updates running unsupported firmware versions may experience difficulties using the Barracuda Backup Cloud for management as well as services such as data replication.
This does not apply to the local web-based management interface which is accessible for restores or the Local Control management option.
If your Energize Updates Subscription expires, contact Barracuda Sales to renew your subscriptions.
Firmware Release Example
Note that the information listed in the table below may not be current. Go to the System > Firmware Settings page in the web interface for the latest firmware availability.
Latest Maintenance Release
To ensure interoperability with Barracuda Cloud Control, cloud connected Barracuda Backup systems must run the latest firmware version. Download and install the latest available firmware from the System > Firmware Settings in the web interface. Additionally:
- You must have an active Energize Update (EU) subscription and run the latest minimum supported firmware for Barracuda Cloud Control support.
- Firmware version must upgrade to the latest version (legacy, general, or early).
- If firmware version is not maintained, you will lose interoperability with Barracuda Cloud Control; the local restore browser remains accessible for data recovery.
- If your Barracuda Backup product no longer has EU, and there is no intention to renew EU, you can restore from the local UI to manage the system independent of Barracuda Cloud Control.
How to Upgrade Firmware
When you log into the Barracuda Backup web interface, if there is a newer version of firmware available (based on the currently selected Firmware Upgrade Policy), the Dashboard page displays a notification banner across the top of the page. Click Upgrade Now to proceed to the System > Firmware Settings page to upgrade your firmware, or click Dismiss to hide the banner until the next time you log into the web interface.
To upgrade Barracuda Backup firmware:
- Log into Barracuda Backup, and go to the System > Firmware Settings page.
- From the Firmware Upgrade Policy drop-down menu, select the upgrade policy from the following options:
- Legacy Release – Access a previously installed version of the firmware; do not select this option unless directed to do so by Barracuda Technical Support.
- General Release – The latest generally available version of the firmware available for use on Barracuda Backup; recommended.
- Early Release – The newest firmware versions available for early access to Barracuda Backup; do not select this option until thoroughly reading the release notes.
- Click Check for new firmware, and allow the system to check for a newer version of firmware.
- If a new firmware release is available, click Upgrade Now and allow the system to update.
- Click Save at the top of the page once the firmware upgrade is complete.
How to Upgrade Firmware on a Local Control Appliance
To upgrade the firmware on a Local Control appliance:
- Log into the Barracuda Backup Local Control web interface, and go to the System > Firmware page.
- Click download the newest Firmware Package:
- Save the firmware package to your local system:
- In the web interface, to the right of Firmware Package file, click Browse, and select the firmware package you downloaded to your local system:
- Once the file is selected, click Upload Firmware Package :
- The firmware package is now loaded. Click Upgrade Now to begin the firmware upgrade:
- Allow the upgrade to complete; this may take up to 10 minutes. A notification displays when the upgrade process is complete:
- Click OK to close the notification. Allow approximately 10 minutes for services to update and restart. Refresh your browser to see the changes in the web interface.