Barracuda Backup Servers, firmware 1.2.009 and above, and associated Exchange Servers (Versions 2000, 2003, and 2007) running the Barracuda Backup Agent.
The Barracuda Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server provides a full backup of the Exchange Storage Group. The Exchange Storage Group, and its associated transaction logs, is the most important data to back up on your Exchange Server to ensure your email database is available in the event it becomes damaged or unrecoverable. A Storage Group is a container for your email database and its associated system and transaction log files. Exchange uses transaction logging to commit new and changed data to the database, and to ensure that records of the transactions exist if a store is damaged between backups.
disaster occurs, and you must rebuild a server, you can use the latest
transaction log files to recover your database. If you have access to
the latest backup and the transaction log files since the last full backup, you
can recover all of your data. The Barracuda Backup Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server backs up and restores the entire Storage Group; it does not allow a backup or restore of individual mailboxes or individual databases within a Storage Group.
Follow the steps below to add a computer and configure the data source for an Exchange Server backup:
- Open the
Settings > Backup Management page on the Barracuda Backup Service Web interface.
- Click Add Computer, and then define the
field values as follows:
- Assigned Backup Server. The Backup Server that you want the computer to be added to.
- Computer Description. A name to identify the computer.
- Computer Hostname. The name or IP address of the computer on the network.
- Computer Type. The operating system on the computer to be backed up.
- Windows Version. The OS version that the computer to be backed up is running.
- Username/Password. Credentials to access password-protected servers on your network.
- Click Save Changes to save the computer configuration.
- Click Add Backup Data, then define the
field values as follows:
- Computer Name. The computer that the data is located on.
- Data Description. A name to identify the data that is being backed up.
- Data Type. Select Exchange Server as the type of data to be backed up.
- Send Data Offsite. Whether to send the data offsite to be backed up. When left unchecked, the data will only be stored on the local Backup Server.
- Storage Group Selection. Specify which storage groups to back up on the Exchange Server.
- Click Save Changes to save the data source configuration.
Refer to the following solutions for additional reference:
Solution #00003876 - Agent backup types and the steps to create a backup schedule.
Solution #00003877 - Creating retention policies.
Solution #00003906 - Exchange message level backups.
Link to this Page: