Applies to Barracuda Backup Server firmware 3.0 and later
Microsoft SharePoint uses a Microsoft SQL database to store data. The Barracuda Backup Agent only backs up the databases for Windows SharePoint Services (WSS); therefore you should perform regular backups of the File System on the SharePoint Server to ensure protection of all SharePoint Server components.
The SharePoint backup must include the following components to ensure you can perform a consistent restore of the Windows SharePoint Services. Note that selecting the entire system for backup will include all of these components by default. For Disaster Recovery Backup sets it is recommended that the Microsoft Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) option is enabled to ensure the WSS components are in a consistent state during the disaster recovery process.
SharePoint Services (WSS) Installation Directory. This directory and its
sub directories contain WSS installation and configuration files including
binaries, site templates, style sheets, customization information for site
Internet Information (IIS) Virtual Servers. WSS uses one or more virtual
servers to host Websites. In SharePoint 2003 and WSS 2.0 the entire
configuration for the IIS Web Site is stored in the configuration and
SharePoint Services (WSS) Databases. WSS installs a Microsoft SQL Server
Desktop Engine/SQL Server Embedded Edition (WMSDE/SSEE) called SHAREPOINT
or Microsoft ##SSEE by default, and creates a configuration and content
- Usage Analysis Logs. When usage analysis logging is enabled, WSS log files are created daily to track Website usage.
Creating a Windows
SharePoint Backup Job
Important Note: Before following the steps below, please make sure you have downloaded and installed the Barracuda Backup Agent on the SharePoint server. For information on how to do this please refer to Solution #00003983.
- Login to backup.barracuda.com<http://backup.barracuda.com>.
- Click the Backup tab. If the server already exists then skip to step 3. If the server does not exist please click Add Computer in the top corner and fill in the required information and click Save Changes when complete.
- Under the server click Add Data Source.
- In the Add Data Source window select Barracuda Backup Agent in the Data Type field.
- You can choose whether or not you want backups enabled with the Backups Enabled check box or if you want the data sent offsite with the Send Data Offsite checkbox.
- Make sure the Barracuda Backup Server can connect to the agent by clicking the Test Software Connectivity button.
- In the Items Selection section click the radial circle next to Select specific items and click Refresh items. The SharePoint folder should be listed once the list is populated.
- Once you have selected the SharePoint items to be backed up click Save Changes and a backup will run at your next scheduled time.
Link to this page: