All Barracuda Backup Servers
This solution provides guidance on how to set up the SQL Server databases so that the Barracuda Backup Server (BBS) can successfully complete an incremental backup.
The Backup Server is designed to initially complete a full backup of the SQL Server database(s). Once the initial full backup has been completed, the BBS can attempt to complete an incremental backup of the SQL Server database. In order for the BBS to complete an incremental backup successfully, the SQL Server database(s) must be set to Full Recovery Model. Typically, SQL Server databases are set to Simple Recovery Model by default. If an incremental backup cannot be completed, the BBS will revert to a full backup and produce a warning in the backup report
- Note: If you decide to leave the SQL Recovery Model set to simple, go to the BBS Backup > Schedules, edit the schedule and change the backup type to Full instead of smart.
The recovery model controls how transaction logs are handled managed. Before changing the Recovery Model, please consult your database administrator to determine the setting that is appropriate for your environment.
For detailed instructions on how to set the SQL Recovery Model for your version of SQL Server, the following links are provided:
All SQL databases need to be set to Full Recovery Model in order to produce Incremental backups. Otherwise, Full backups are performed on every run.
The following is instructions from Microsoft to change the Recovery Model on your SQL databases:
To view or change the recovery model of a database:
- After connecting to the appropriate instance of the Microsoft SQL Server Database Engine, in Object Explorer, click the server name to expand the server tree.
- Expand Databases, and, depending on the database, either select a user database or expand System Databases and select a system database.
- Right-click the database, and then click Properties, which opens the Database Properties dialog box.
- In the Select a Page pane, click Options.
- The current recovery model is displayed in the Recovery Model list box.
- Optionally, to change the recovery model select a different model list. The choices are Full, Bulk-logged, or Simple.