This solution applies to the Barracuda Backup Server, firmware version 4.1 and higher.
An existing backup of a system that uses one of the following Microsoft operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows 2008 Server
- Windows SBS 2011
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Barracuda Backup Service 4.1 or higher
- A Barracuda Backup Bare Metal Live CD (instructions for how to create this are below)
The bare metal recovery process will overwrite any existing data on the system the data is being restored to. As a result, bare metal recovery is only recommended in situations where there are no other recovery options available.
- The bare metal restore is used to restore to the Original Computer/Server, and currently supports similar hardware only.
- Any changes to CPU, Motherboard, or storage controller (RAID) can cause the bare metal restore to fail.
- In case of dissimilar hardware, please perform a full system restore. (reference Solution #00005638)
- Backup data set must have selected the whole drive containing the program files, partial selection could cause a failed reboot or parts of programs not functional. Suggested to have "select all" in the backup configuration.
- Backup data must contain the System State.
To perform a bare metal recovery of your Windows server, follow these steps:
1. Download the Bare Metal Live CD boot media.
- On the Barracuda Backup control panel located at https://backup.barracudanetworks.com, navigate to the System->Software Downloads page, and download the Bare Metal Live ISO file.
- Burn the downloaded ISO file to a CD. The Bare Metal Live ISO file only appears for Barracuda Backup Servers running the 4.1 or later versions of the firmware.
2. Boot your Windows server using the Bare Metal Live CD.
3. Read the warning on the Barracuda Backup Agent Bare Metal Recovery screen, then click Next.
4. Set up the network configuration.
- If you have DHCP enabled on your network, you should already see an assigned IP address in the IP Address field.
- Take note of that IP address, as it will be used later in these steps.
DHCP is not enabled, uncheck the DHCP option, enter the IP Address,
Subnet Mask and Default Gateway information, and click Apply.
5. Navigate to the RESTORE tab of the Barracuda Backup control panel located at https://backup.barracudanetworks.com.
- In the Restore Browser, select the system you would like to recover and click the "View all revisions up to..." button to list all of the revisions of the system that are available to be restored.
6. Click Restore next to the revision you would like to recover.
- In the
Restore dialog box, specify the location for the restore.
- If the IP address identified in Step 4 is different than the original server, select the option to specify the IP address and enter the IP address of the new system.
7. Click Start Restoring.
8. On the system that was booted using the Bare Metal Live CD, a list of volumes that can be recovered will be displayed.
- Select the volumes you would like to recover and click Next.
- You will not be able to unselect boot and system volumes, as these are required for the restore.
9. Verify that you want to proceed by clicking OK, then read the warning and verify again that you would like to proceed.
You can follow along with the restore process through the Bare Metal Live CD interface. Once the restore is complete, remove the Bare Metal Live CD and reboot the system.
Note: If SQL and/or Exchange are installed on the system, you may be required to restore those items separately after the system reboots.
Link to this Page: