Apple Inc. provides Global HTTP Proxy as a feature embedded in the client for proxying traffic from iOS devices over cellular or WiFi networks to a web security solution. Global HTTP Proxy is particularly useful for schools issuing iOS devices to students who take them off network. Using the Global HTTP Proxy, you can be assured that ALL traffic to and from the iOS device is directed to and filtered by the configured service – either the Barracuda Web Security Gateway or the Barracuda Web Security Service.
- To use the Global HTTP Proxy you must have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch running iOS 6.0 or higher. The most common use case is the iPad.
- Devices must be supervised. See Understanding Device Supervision.
You can use the Apple Configurator to configure Global HTTP Proxy.
- Use the USB cable to connect the iOS device to a Mac running Apple Configurator.
- In the Apple Configurator, click Prepare.
- Click Settings, and set Supervision to On.
- Click New Configuration Profile below the Profiles list, and select Create New Profile.
- Enter a name for the profile in the General Settings payload that appears.
- Select the Global Proxy payload from the list of payloads on the left, and then click Configure.
- In the Global HTTP Proxy payload use the following configuration:
- Proxy Type – manual
- Proxy Server – Hostname of the Barracuda web security solution you are using:
Hostname/IP Address of your Barracuda Web Security Gateway, or
Service Hostname of the Barracuda Web Security Service.
For example: proxy.example.com or 188.8.131.52
- Port – Make sure that your port numbers match on both sides of the connection.
If you are using Barracuda Web Security Gateway, the default port is 3128. Enter 3128 as the Port here, or change the Port on your Barracuda Web Security Gateway and enter the same Port number here.
For details, refer to Forward Proxy Deployment of the Barracuda Web Security Gateway.
If you are using Barracuda Web Security Service, the Port is 8080. Enter 8080 as the Port here.
- Click Save to save the configuration profile.
- Select the created profile in the Profiles list.
- Click Prepare at the bottom of the Apple Configurator window.
- Apply the changes.
Initial setup (preparation and supervision) may take up to 10-15 minutes.