This solution applies to the Barracuda Spam Firewall (and most other common Barracuda Networks appliances).
The following documentation will assist you in setting your system into recovery mode on your Spam Firewall:
Rebooting the System in Recovery Mode:
If your Barracuda Spam Firewall experiences a serious issue that impacts its core functionality, you can use diagnostic and recovery tools that are available from the reboot menu (see below) to return your system to an operational state.
To perform a system recovery, hardware test, or establish a support connection, proceed with the following steps:
- Connect a monitor and keyboard directly to your Barracuda Spam Firewall.
- Reboot the system by doing one of the following:
- Click the Restart button on the BASIC > Administration page or...
- Log into the console via keyboard and monitor and then logging in.
- By default the credentials would be "admin" and the password "admin" without the quotes.
- Once logged in, navigate to system and select reboot.
- When the system power cycles, the Barracuda splash screen displays with the following three boot options:
- Use your keyboard to select the desired boot option (in this case the Recovery option), and press Enter.
- Note: You must select the boot option within three seconds of the splash screen appearing. If you do not select an option within three seconds, the Barracuda Spam Firewall defaults to starting up in the normal mode (first option).
- Once Recovery has been selected, it will prompt you with a series of options, listed below:
BARRACUDA NETWORKS RECOVERY CONSOLE1. Barracuda Repair (no data loss)2. Full Barracuda Recovery (all data lost)3. Enable remote administration (reverse tunnel)4. Diagnostic memory test5. Shutdown
- If needed, select Option #3 to enable a remote support tunnel.
- The console will then ask you if you want to use a static or DHCP addressing.
- You will probably want to choose the static IP addressing and assign it the values it was assigjned in production, to ensure compatibility with exisitng firewall rules etc..
- Then it will launch the tunnel to connect to support so a Barracuda networks technical representative can perform his or her work.
As the Recovery Menu offers options that can lead to permanent data loss, please contact Support if you have any concerns about proceeding, or if you see diagnostic results that require attention.
Link to This Page: