Exchange Integration now supports the Exchange Web Services (EWS) protocol for connecting to Exchange Online. With the deprecation of Basic Authentication in Exchange Online at the end of October 2022, using EWS will allow Exchange Integration to continue to work with Exchange Online. You will need to configure a new Exchange Integration source, and new actions configured using that source will use EWS.
In addition to ensuring that Exchange Integration will continue to connect to Exchange Online after October 2022, the switch to EWS simplifies the Exchange Integration configuration by eliminating the need to use a service account and the accompanying requirement to update the service account's permissions after creating new users with mailboxes.
You must have a Microsoft 365 account with administrator privileges.
Note that you will no longer need a service account to set up an Exchange Online source.
Update an Existing Nightly Action
Use the following instructions to update an existing nightly action to use EWS.
- Log into the Barracuda Cloud Archiving Service as the admin, and go to MAIL SOURCE > Exchange Integration.
Click Upgrade Connector next to the nightly action you want to change.
Enter a New Configuration name and click Authorize.
- Alternatively, if you are unable to use the Upgrade Connector option, you can manually add a new EWS source:
At the top left of the Scheduled Actions section, click Start New Action. In the Select Action page, click Email Import.
- In the Select Source page, click Add New Source.
- Select Exchange Online to configure using EWS.
- Enter a configuration name and click Authorize.
If you are not already logged in, a new tab or pop-up window prompts you to enter your Microsoft 365 administrator account login information from which Exchange Integration will process mail.
Click Accept to authorize the Barracuda Cloud Archiving Service application to access your details.
- After the authorization tab or window closes, switch back to the Select Source page. You should now see the new source in the list. Select the new source and click Continue.
The selected source is now at the top of the nightly job list using the new connector. The Upgrade Connector option is no longer available, indicating that the EWS server configuration is being used.