The Barracuda NG Control Center is licensed by installing the base license on the box layer and NG control center management interface. For managed NG Firewalls the NG Control Center manages, assigns and updates VF and SF pool licenses and optionally also automatically activates licenses.
In this article
Licensing a Barracuda NG Control Center
The base license for the NG Control Center is automatically downloaded on the box layer of the NG Control Center when it is activated. You must also install this base license in the management interface of the NG Control Center, to establish the CC identity. Pool licenses are also bound to the base license of the NG Control Center.
For more information, see How to Manually Install the Licenses for the Barracuda NG Control Center.
Licensing Managed NG Firewalls
Managed Barracuda NG Firewalls can be licensed with single or pool licenses.
Single Licenses with Unattended or Manual License Activation
Single licenses are bound to the MAC and cpuid of the individual NG Firewall and can not be transferred. To make deploying a large number of NG Firewalls easier, the NG Control Center can automatically fill in or complete the Barracuda Activation for new managed NG Firewalls using single licenses. If you have filled in the Activation Template (Config > CC Parameters) on the NG Control Center the web form is automatically filled in. By enabling unattended activation in the Barracuda Activation tab for you license, you will not be prompted when a unit is activated.
There are three types of pool licenses:
- F – for hardware appliances. Hardware pool licenses must be purchased in combination with the hardware appliances.
- VF – for virtual appliances.
- SF – for software licenses.
Pool licenses can only be purchased in multiples of five and are bound to the base license of the NG Control Center. This means that they can be assigned freely to all NG Firewalls of the same product type and model as the pool license managed by that NG Control Center. The licenses are assigned and continuously renewed for all pool licensed managed NG Firewalls. Box licenses derived from a renewed pool license will be updated automatically on the managed NG Firewalls.
For more information, see How to Install and Assign Pool Licenses on a Barracuda NG Control Center.
Managing Pool Licenses
The Pool Licenses section on the Barracuda Activation page offers several actions for license handling. To access the context menu options, right click a license from the Pool Licenses list:
- Import Pool License – Import the pool license. You are prompted to enter the Token and select the Product Type. The pool license is now listed in the Pool Licenses section.
- Remove Pool BAR <License Number> – Removes the selected pool license.
- Use Unattended Activation – If you activate this option, Barracuda NG Admin will not ask for personal contact information upon activating licenses on Barracuda servers. Activation templates can be edited in the configuration on Global, Range and Cluster levels.
- Update Licenses on CC – Trigger an instant check if licenses are updated on the Barracuda license servers (This check is performed hourly in the background).
- Move Instances to another Pool – Replace the box licenses derived from one pool license with box licenses from another pool license. This can be used when a new pool license with a bigger pool was purchased. In the next step you can select from which new pool the licenses should be generated. The new pool licenses must be already listed (i.e. previously imported) in the Pool Licenses window. The new license pool must also have enough free instances as in the old pool and must also contain all the modules from the old license pool and optionally additional ones.
- Reassign Licenses to Instances – If the pool license was renewed, but box licenses where not automatically updated by the Barracuda NG Control Center, use this option to manually trigger the update.
- Refresh – Refresh the Pool Licenses list.
- Tools – Opens the standard Tools context menu from where you can export the list to file or clipboard.
Continuous Updating of the Pool License Float
Managed NG Firewalls using pool licenses must renew the license by connecting to the Barracuda NG Firewall at regular intervals. The license status for each NG Firewall is listed on the Control > Floating Licenses page. Updating the pool license float follows the following scheme: Licenses have a grace period of 15 days. The Barracuda NG Firewall starts to check the pool license state after a quarter of the grace period. If this check fails, the next attempt is made after the first half of the grade period. If this check fails the license state enters grace mode. From now on the NG Firewall will attempt to contact the NG Control Center four consecutive times every 10 minutes until the float could be successfully updated. If a pool licensed NG Firewall is not able to connect to the NG Control Center for 15 days, all services are shut down and the license state is changed to unlicensed.
Special Considerations for NG Control Center Licenses in Grace Period
If the host-ID or MAC address of the NG Control Center has changed the licenses will become invalid and enter a 14 day grace period. During the grace period do not change settings on the CC Identity page.
Contact Barracuda Technical Support to resolve the licensing issues.