After changing the configuration of the network subsystem, you must activate the new network configuration. There are three types of network activation:
- Failsafe – A backup of the existing configuration is created, and the new network configuration is activated. If the connection to NG Admin is established successfully after activation, the network activation is complete. If it fails, the network configuration is reverted to the previously working state. During activation in failsafe mode, the whole network system is shut down and the Barracuda NG Firewall is briefly unreachable. All active connections are terminated.
- Force – In this activation mode, the new network configuration is activated without making a backup of the old configuration. If the new network configuration does not work, there is no fallback mechanism. During activation in Force mode, the whole network system is shut down and the Barracuda NG Firewall is briefly unreachable. All active connections are terminated.
- Soft – Only use the Soft activation mode to add a route to an existing network configuration. All other network configuration changes cannot be activated in Soft mode. During activation in this mode, the network system is not shut down and firewall connections are not interrupted.
Alternatively, you can soft activate a new network configuration and reboot the Barracuda NG Firewall or NG Control Center for the network configuration changes to take effect.
Activate the Network Configuration
- Go to CONTROL > Box.
- In the left menu, expand the Network section and click Activate new network configuration.
- Click on the desired activation mode.
After activation, the network may briefly show an error state until all connections are established.