The Firmware Update page is intended for execution of software updates on CC-managed Barracuda NG Firewall boxes. The handling of remote software updates is very similar to the remote execution facility described under: CC Remote Execution Page. For information on how to import software packages and perform firmware updates, see the example on the CC Update Tasks Page. To access the Firmware Update page on the Barracuda NG Control Center, open the CONTROL tab and click the Firmware Update icon in the ribbon bar.
In this article:
In the system list in the top section of the page, administrative entities can be arranged in views corresponding to the structure of the Barracuda NG Control Center configuration tree. To select a view, expand the Current View menu box within the view/filter section in the bottom left panel and select a view.
Each view includes detailed information about every system the Barracuda NG Control Center administers. The information is arranged in the following columns (not all columns are available in every view.):
- Name – The name of the CC-administered box.
- Cluster – The name of the cluster the box resides in.
- Range – Displays the name of the range that the cluster and box belong to.
- Group – Displays the name of the group the box has been assigned to.
- Version – Lists the software version installed on the box.
- IP – Displays the management IP address of the box.
- Last good status – Shows the time that has passed since the CC has successfully fetched status information from a box. Barracuda NG Firewalls actively propagate status information to the CC. Information that has been "pushed" to the CC by these systems is flagged with P in the column listing.
- Last attempt successful – This column indicates if the last attempt to retrieve status information from a box was successful (yes/no).
- Last attempt – If the last attempt to retrieve status information from a box was unsuccessful, this column indicates the time that has passed since then.
- Fail reason – This column lists the reason for status information update failure.
The right-click context menus available in the system list are dependant on the view that has been defined. To enable group-related context menu items, click the Lock button on top of the page.
When selected in Current View, the Groups view allows you to define administrative groups of boxes in order to facilitate installation of updates on boxes with similar configurations.
Create a Group
To create a group:
- Click Lock on top of the page.
- Right-click any item in the system list and select Create Group.
- Specify a group name (the characters "
" and "|" are not allowed for group names. These characters will be replaced by an underscore "_").
- Click Save Groups on top of the page.
To delete a group, right-click the group and select Remove. To save your configuration, click Save Groups again in the action bar.
Note that the preconfigured group element !unassigned cannot be deleted or renamed. When a group is deleted, boxes assigned to it are automatically moved to the group !unassigned.
Assign a Group
To assign a Barracuda NG Firewall box to a group:
- Click Lock.
- Click a box and drag it to the group it should be assigned to.
- Click Save Groups.
When selected in Current View, the Ranges view groups information about CC-managed units based on ranges to provide a better overview of the structure.
The Boxes view lists all Barracuda NG Firewall boxes in alphabetical order. To view detailed box information, double-click a box in the system list. This opens the Details window that includes the following tabs:
- Log – This tab contains the log messages related to the last software update. Information can be reloaded from the CC by clicking Reload or cleared from the window by clicking Clear. Note that log entries are not cleared from the logfiles on the box itself.
- Versions – This tab lists important modules installed on the box and their corresponding version numbers.
- RPMs – This tab lists all RPMs installed on the box and indicates their status.
Right-clicking a box makes the following entries available:
Trigger reload – Triggers the Barracuda NG Control Center to retrieve current status information from a unit. This procedure might take a few seconds. Update the list to reload the view in Barracuda NG Admin.
- Check/Uncheck all – Select/deselect all systems displayed in the listing. For selected systems, update tasks can be created (see: CC Update Tasks Page).
In order to easily recognize systems with identical software versions, filtering options are available in the left section of the page. Based on the filter selection, boxes can then be selected and scheduled for update concurrently. The Known hotfixes/patches field lists all patches that have already been installed on an arbitrary number of boxes and recognized by the Barracuda NG Control Center.
Define a Filter
To define filter settings based on a system’s software version:
- Click Lock.
- Select an update listed in the Known hotfixes/patches field.
- Select Installed on in the Filter dropdown box to include boxes that have been installed with the patch into the view in the System list. Otherwise, select Not installed on in the Filter list to exclude these boxes from the view.
Files on NG Control Center
Update packages for CC-administered boxes must be imported into the software list. From there they can then be selected in order to create corresponding update tasks for execution. Current update packages can be downloaded from the Barracuda Networks homepage. To execute operations, the following options are available in the action bar:
- Import Update File –Upload a software package into the Barracuda NG Control Center.
- Show – Displays software package information. This information can also be displayed by double-clicking a selected software package.
- Remove – Deletes an uploaded software package from the CC.
The download portal tab show all available updates and the latest NG Admin version for each cluster version on your NG Control Center. Click on an update package to see more detailed information on the requirements and contents of the update package. To download an app or update package to your client, move your mouse over the download entry and click on the download icon.
Barracuda Networks can now inform customers of important issues such as security vulnerabilities or other important messages for your Barracuda NG Firewall and NG Control Center. This feature is enabled by default for newly installed NG Control Centers and disabled for updated units. To enable/disable this feature, go to CONTROL > File Updates, select Product Tips from the dropdown, and click Set Area Config to open the Product Tips configuration. This configuration is applied not only to the NG Control Center, but also to all managed NG Firewalls. The NG Control Center will poll for new Product Tips at a regular interval.
Product Tips are displayed in the Message Board on the Dashboard of the managed NG Firewalls and in a popup on the CONTROL > Status Map page as well as on the CONTROL > Firmware Update page on the NG Control Center.