To ease deployment, the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx units are available as prebuilt OVA images that can be imported into your VMware hypervisor. You do not need to create or configure a virtual machine (VM). Before deploying the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit, verify that the host system meets the minimum storage requirements and review the resource recommendations for the production system. You can deploy the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit using either the VMware vSphere Client or the VMware OVF Tool (ovftool).
Before you begin
- Before you start the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx for the first time, assign a manual MAC address to the first virtual network interface. This lets you move the VM later without invalidating your license. For more information, see Best Practice - Performance Tuning on VMware Hypervisors.
- Download the VMware OVA image from the Barracuda Download Portal.
Use the VMware vSphere client
Step 1. Download and import the OVA image
- Download the OVA image for your NextGen Firewall F-Series or NextGen Control Center from your Barracuda Networks Account.
- Connect to your VMware hypervisor using the vSphere client.
- Click File > Deploy OVF Template.
- In the deployment wizard, click Browse and select the OVA image. Click Next to proceed.
- Enter a name for the virtual machine to be created. Click Next to proceed.
Select the datastore that the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit should be installed on.
- Map to the required network in your existing inventory and then click Next to proceed.
- After the deployment wizard summarizes all your settings, click Finish to start the deployment process. After successful deployment, the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit is displayed in your VMware hypervisor inventory list.
- Select the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit from the list on the left and edit settings such as Disk Provisioning with appropriate values.
Step 2. Set the management IP address
- Start the VM and click the Console tab of the virtual machine.
The Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit boots.
For a basic network configuration, the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit launches the Active Recovery Technology menu.
- Select Basic Configuration, enter the following network settings, and then press F3 to save your changes:
- Hostname – The desired hostname for your Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit.
- Management IP – The IP address that your Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit should be reachable through.
- Netmask – The subnet mask in dotted quad notation. For example,
- Default Gateway – The IP address of the next hop device that serves as an access point to another network.
- When the window opens to announce that your configuration changes were saved, press any key to continue.
- Select Reboot to restart the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit with the new network configuration.
Use the VMware OVF tool
- Download the VMware OVF Tool from vmware.com. Use the following command:
ovftool -datastore=datastorename ovaimage vi://server-ip
datastore– The name for the data store.
ovaimage– The path and name of the OVA file.
server-ip– The IP address for the virtual appliance.
- Configure the resources pool and the network mapping within the VMware virtual machine settings.
- Using Barracuda NextGen Admin, connect to the virtual appliance for configuration.
After you deploy the Barracuda NextGen Firewall F-Series Vx unit, continue with Getting Started and optionally Best Practice - Performance Tuning on VMware Hypervisors.