The LOGS tab displays system log events of system processes on the box layer and, if present, for the virtual server layer and each configured service. With the Log Viewer, you can inspect logs that are stored in the directory /var/phion/logs of a CloudGen Firewall or Control Center. For detailed information on the log file structure and available log files, see Logging.
The Log Viewer provides you with the following additional features while inspecting logged information:
- Hide/Show Log Tree – Hides or displays the hierarchical log file navigation tree.
- Live Mode – If set to On, shows logged information collected live.
- Set Filter – Allows you to specify special filter patterns.
Logged information is organized in a hierarchical tree structure. The triangle to the left of a tree element indicates that the element contains further subcategories. An element without a triangle contains collections of logged information.
The basic elements of the tree structure are:
- Box – Contains further containers and elements that hold logged information collected from the box level. The name of the included containers is derived from different services and sources that produce log information.
Fatal – All fatal errors that can occur on a firewall are collected in this section, in addition to the original log file. The original log file is added in the fatal log message text as a prefix.
- Reports – Reports include subcategories that contain logged information from the creation of reports. For example, Network or Statistics.
- Server (i.e., S1) – Information provided by servers or services running on the firewall is distributed in logs under several subcategories.
For more information, see Available Log Files and Structure.
Viewing Log File Entries
Click on the small document symbol in any category within the tree to inspect the collected information.
Managing Log Files
To view detailed entries for a log file, double-click the message in the column.
Click Prev to show the details of the previous log file. Click Next to show the details of the next entry in the list.
To delete a log file, right-click the log file in the tree and select Delete Log.
To clear the log cache, select Clear Log Cache.
To refresh the tree, click Reload Log Tree on top of the navigation.
To view log files in real time, set Live Mode to On.
To update the log tree, click the cogwheel icon on the top right of the window and select Reload Log Tree.
To open an additional log without replacing logs that are currently open, click the + icon at the top of the Log Viewer.
Then, select the log file that you want to view from the Log Tree.
In the navigation section at the top of the Logs page, you can specify a time and date to view logs that were created within a set time interval.
To filter log file entries, enter the time and date for the log file in the Show To and Show From fields. You can also use the slider to select a time span.
Show from Start sets the time filter to the beginning of the log files; Show from Start sets the filter to the last entry.
To display only a specific entry type, click Set Filter at the top right of the window.
The Log Filter window opens. Select the desired log file type from the Entry Type list, specify the filtering criteria, and click OK to apply the filter.
The Set Filter icon at the top right of the window changes to the filter type. To reset the filter, click and select Clear Filter.
To view the log file entry list in full-screen mode, click Hide Log Tree at the top right of the window.