The firewall can dial in using PPTP with an external DSL modem. The xDSL connection can be configured to be in Active or Standby mode. In Standby mode, the activation and subsequent monitoring of the link must be triggered externally.
Step 1. Configure a PPTP Connection
- Go to NETWORK > IP Configuration.
- In the Dynamic Interface Configuration section, click Add Dynamic Network Interface.
- From the Network Interface list, select the network interface that the ISP modem is connected to on the firewall.
- Enter a name for the new connection.
- For Network Protocol, select PPTP.
- Enter the IP address for the PPTP Server.
- Set Classification to WAN.
- Configure the remaining settings for your network requirements:
- Synchronous PPP – If your dial-in connection requires Synchronous PPP mode, select the check box. If you are not sure which mode to use, contact your ISP.
Metric – For the initial configuration, keep the default Metric value of
100. In a multi-provider configuration, the firewall chooses the interface with the lowest metric for outgoing traffic.
- Use Dynamic DNS – You can make the firewall reachable with a unique identifier (DNS-resolvable name). For Use Dynamic DNS, select Yes and enter your DynDNS credentials. For more information on the DynDNS service, see http://dyn.com/dns/.
- Connection Start Method – You can manually start and stop the link . For Connection Start Method, select Manual. To control the link, go to the Dynamic Network Interfaces section of the NETWORK > IP Configuration page.
- Health Check – To monitor the Internet connection, select a type of Health Check to perform. Most ISPs support LCP to continuously monitor successful data transmission. However, you can use ICMP requests for monitoring the Internet connection. If you use ICMP for link monitoring, add a target IP address to the Health Check Target list.
Click Save to save the new configuration or Cancel to discard it.
Step 2. Perform a Network Activation
After you create or change basic network configurations such as routing, you must activate your new network configurations.
- Scroll to the top of the page.
- Click on the link in the warning message to activate the new network configuration.
Verify the Network Configuration
After the network activation with the configured PPTP xDSL WAN you can see the entry in the table in the Dynamic Interface Configuration section.