URL policy objects define access restrictions for URL categories and websites. URL policy objects can be applied to application policies and define the action to be performed by the firewall when users try to access URLs. To use URL filtering, you must have a Barracuda Web Security Subscription.
Create a URL Policy Object
Create a URL policy object to specify access restrictions for URL categories. You can also define exceptions to these categories by explicitly entering the URL of websites that you want to always allow or block.
- Go to FIREWALL > URL Filter Policy Objects.
- Click Add URL Policy Object. The Add URL Policy Object window opens.
- Enter a Name for the URL policy.
- Select the default action when the online URL categorization database is unavailable:
- Allow All – Access to all URLs is allowed.
- Block All – Access to all URLs is denied.
- Enter the timeout for Warn and continue override valid for 'n' minutes.
In the Categories section, select the action to be performed when users try to access a URL category. You can define the following actions for each category:
- Allow – Allow access to all URLs defined in the category.
- Warn – Allow access to the URL category. Access is silently logged by the firewall.
- Alert – Allow access after accepting a warn and continue message. This action is logged by the firewall.
- Override – User requests time-limited access from a URL Filter override admin. If the request is accepted, the user is allowed to access the URL. This action is logged by the firewall.
- Block – Block access to all URLs defined in the category.
(optional) To define exceptions for specific URLs, click the URLs tab.
- In the Always ALLOW field, enter whitelisted URLs and for each entry click plus (+).
- In the Always BLOCK field, enter blacklisted URLs and for each entry click plus (+).
- Click Save.
The URL policy is displayed in the URL POLICY OBJECTS list and can now be used in your application policies. For more information, see Apply the URL policy object to an application policy.
Edit / Delete a URL Policy
To edit a URL policy, click the edit symbol () next to the entry. In the Edit URL Policy window, edit the settings for the policy, and click Save.
To delete a URL policy, click the trash can icon next to the entry and click OK.