The firewall offers real-time URL filtering for web and application traffic. URL filtering is handled as part of the application policy. In combination with Application Control, URL filtering can also be enabled on a per-access-rule basis. To use URL filtering, you must have a Barracuda Web Security Subscription.
URL Filter Policies
URL Filter policies define access restrictions for URL categories. To restrict or allow access to specific URL categories and/or websites, create URL policy objects. When applied to an application policy, the URL policy object defines how the application policy handles user access to websites based on the URL Filter policy. When configuring a URL policy object, assign a policy for every URL category with the option of including custom URL block and allow lists. The following actions are available for each URL category:
- Allow – Allows access to all URLs defined in the category.
- Warn – Users are redirected to a warning page and must click Continue to access the website. Set Warn and Continue override to configure the timeout after which the user is redirected to the warning page again.
- Alert – Users are allowed to access websites in this category, but the action is silently logged. Go to BASIC > Application Monitor to see the websites that trigger the alert action.
- Override – Users are redirected to the URL Filter Override page and can request temporary access from an administrator to a URL from a denied category.
- Block – Blocks access to all URLs defined in the category .
For more information, see How to Create a URL Filter Policy Object.
Configure URL Filtering
To configure URL filtering, apply URL policy objects to application policies. A URL policy object defines the action to be performed by the firewall when your users connect to a website and the application policy applies. The firewall sends the visited URL to a large online database for URL categorization and then performs the action specified in the URL policy object. To use application policies with URL policy objects for web and application traffic, you must also enable URL filtering separately in the matching access rule.
Configure URL Filter Overrides
If the action for the detected URL category is set to override in the URL Filter policy object, the user can request permission for a URL category override. A URL Filter override admin must grant the request and set the duration of the override request. Override requests are granted per URL category.
For more information, see.