The initial setup wizard automatically starts when you first log into the firewall and guides you through the first configuration steps. Use the wizards to deploy the firewall into production or to evaluate it.
To start the wizards at a later time, go to ADVANCED > Wizards.
Step 1. Complete the Setup Wizard
The initial setup wizard automatically starts when you first log into the firewall. (When using another wizard, go to ADVANCED > Wizards, and click Start to launch the wizard.)
- Evaluation mode – Sets up the firewall for evaluation at your desk or in a test lab. All network traffic is transparently forwarded from network interface p1 to p3. Verify p1 is connected to your LAN, and p3 to your test PC or test network.
Protect my network – Configures a primary and a secondary Internet uplink as well as up to two internal networks, including DHCP server configuration. To complete this wizard, the following information is required:
- Local area network preferences (LAN IP address, gateway IP address, required DHCP settings)
- Internet service provider (ISP) uplink information
- Failover Internet service provider information (optional)
- Manual configuration – Click Close to exit the setup wizard.
Step 2. Configure Administrator IP/Range
If administrators always use the same IP range, you can restrict access to the web interface of the firewall by specifying a range of allowed IP addresses or networks to increase security.
- Go to BASIC > Administration.
- In the Management ACL section, enter the IP⁄Network Address and Netmask for the networks allowed to access the web interface. For a single IP address, set the Netmask field to
- Click Add.
- Click Save.
Step 3. (Optional) Additional Configuration Steps
Step 4. Explore the Barracuda CloudGen Firewall
After setting up the firewall, explore the following areas to learn where to get necessary information when working with your firewall and its services:
To verify the status of your licenses, go to BASIC > Status and view the Security Subscription Status section. The status for all purchased licenses is displayed as current. While the firewall is connected to the Internet, it automatically downloads licenses. If the firewall cannot be activated, please contact Barracuda Technical Support.
To verify that the firewall is using the latest available firmware, go to ADVANCED > Firmware Update. For production, use the latest general release firmware version. Before updating the appliance, read the release notes for information on new features, bug fixes, and possible migration instructions.
To view the status of the following:
- Network routes and interfaces – Go to NETWORK > Routing.
- Network interface links – Go to BASIC > Status and move the mouse over the ports displayed in the Link Status section.
To view the configurations:
- Network interfaces – Go to NETWORK > IP Configuration and view the Network Interface Configuration section.
- Bridges – Go to NETWORK > Bridging.
For more information on networking, see Network.
To view access rules, go to FIREWALL > Access Rules.
To monitor currently active and recently established and completed connections, go to the following pages:
- BASIC > Active Connections
- BASIC > Recent Connections
For more information on the firewall service, see Firewall.