Source-based routing, often referred to as policy routing, is used when the source IP address of the connection determines, in part or completely, which route is used. Source-based routing can be used to ensure that traffic is sent via a specific connection. For each source-based routing entry, a routing table for that specific IP address/network is created and consulted when traffic from that network comes in.
Step 1. Create a Source-based Route
- Go to CONFIGURATION > Configuration Tree > Box > Network.
- In the left menu, click Routing.
- Click Lock.
- In the Source Based Routing section, add or edit an entry for your route in the Routing Rules table:
Name – Enter a name. E.g.,
Source Networks – Add the source IP address or network. E.g.,
Routes – Click + to add a route table entry for the source network.
Target Network Address – Enter the target network IP address. E.g.,
- Route Type – Select unicast, multipath or throw. If throw is selected, the route lookup will end once the first matching route is found.
- Gateway (only for unicast routes) – Enter the IP address of the remote gateway.
- Multipath Gateway (only for multicast routes) – Enter the Multipath Gateway and Weight Number (Metric) for each route.
- Packet Load Balancing (only for multicast routes) – If needed, enable packet load balancing.
- Route Metric (only for unicast routes) – Enter the route metric for the gateway route.
- Advertise Route – Select YES if you want to use dynamic routing service. For more information, see Dynamic Routing Protocols (OSPF/RIP/BGP).
- Target Network Address – Enter the target network IP address. E.g.,
- Name – Enter a name. E.g.,
- Select where the route table is placed: before the main routing table (premain) or after the main routing table (postmain).
- Click OK.
- Click Send Changes and Activate.
Step 2. Activate the Network Configuration
After you have configured the network route, you must execute your new network configurations.
- Go to CONTROL > Box.
- In the left menu, expand Network and then click Activate new network configuration.
- Select Failsafe. The message Failsafe Activation Succeeded is displayed after your new network configurations have been successfully activated.
- Click OK.