WAN Optimization is a technique to significantly reduce site-to-site VPN network traffic between two or more locations. To reduce traffic flow across the WAN, Barracuda CloudGen Firewalls make use of Lempel-Ziv and Generic Large Dictionary compression to reduce TINA tunnel traffic. Both compression methods can be applied simultaneously or individually. Depending on the type of network traffic, traffic compression may vary. Generally, traffic compression works more efficiently when the network traffic is more homogeneous.
- WAN Optimization only optimizes TCP traffic flows. UDP Traffic does not benefit from WAN Optimization.
- WAN Optimization does not work for encrypted traffic; avoid optimization for encrypted network traffic.
- WAN Optimization does not work in combination with Web Log streaming.
- The following Application Control features do not work in combination with WAN Optimization:
- SSL Inspection
- Virus Scanning in the Firewall
WAN Optimization Policies
Create WAN Optimization policies to compress specific network traffic. For each entry, select the compression algorithm or exclude it from compression. The default policy contains a range of services that includes entries for the most common network traffic.
For more information, see How to Configure WAN Optimization Policies.
WAN Optimization for TINA VPN Tunnels
Enable WAN Optimization for both endpoints of the TINA VPN tunnel and apply the WAN Optimization policies.
For more information, see How to Configure WAN Optimization for TINA VPN Tunnels.