With Active Recovery Technology (ART), you can perform basic system configurations and recovery operations outside the Barracuda OS. From the ART menu, you can:
- Reinstall the Barracuda CloudGen Firewall F-Series.
- Test the system hardware (CPU, RAM, HDDs).
- Retrieve system hardware information.
- Start a basic command-line interface.
- Change basic system configurations (hostname, management IP address, network routes).
ART is based on a very small Linux system. You can access it via the following methods:
- Serial console – The default connection speed for the serial console is 19200 baud.
SSH – Use the SSH client in Barracuda Firewall Admin or another SSH client.
- LCD display – On systems with an LCD display and keypad. Before using the LCD display, deactivate serial access. On the CONFIGURATION > Administrative Settings page, set Serial Access to no.
Entering the ART Menu
You can enter the ART menu after you reboot the Barracuda CloudGen Firewall F-Series or while the system boots up.
Enter ART After Rebooting the System
- Go to the CONTROL > Box page.
- In the left navigation pane, expand Operating System and click Reboot Box.
- In the Reboot window, select the Reboot into Active Recovery Technology check box and click OK.
Enter ART While the System Boots Up
When the "+++press any key to enter ART+++" message is displayed on the screen, press any key on your keyboard.
When prompted, press 1 to enter the ART menu.
The ART Menu
To navigate through the ART menu options, use the arrow and Esc keys. To select options, press the Enter key. You can select any of the following ART menu options via the serial console:
When accessed via SSH, the ART menu additionally features a Reboot option:
Test hard disk drive – Evokes a hard disk check tool. If bad blocks are found, you can only repair the hard disk file system with the command-line interface.
Test CPU – Performs a load test of all available CPUs.
Get hardware info – Displays all system information that is stored in a hidden partition, such as the serial number, initial installation date, etc.
Test RAM – Evokes a RAM checking utility. The entire RAM cannot be tested because the ART OS is stored on a part of the RAM.
System recovery – Reinstalls the system with a previously saved system configuration. For systems with a hard disk drive, an installation *.iso image and PAR file on a dedicated partition of the disk drive are used. Optionally, an *.iso image on a USB flash drive can also be used. For flash-only systems, a USB flash drive is required.
- Reboot – Only available via SSH; use this option instead of Exit to save your configuration changes and reboot the unit.
- Exit – Save and exit ART. Will only reboot the unit when accessed via the serial console. When accessed via SSH, use Reboot instead.
Saving and Recovering a System Configuration with ART
It is highly recommended that you save a working configuration of the Barracuda CloudGen Firewall F-Series for ART. When you recover the system with ART, this configuration will be used.
Save a System Configuration for ART
Log into the Barracuda CloudGen Firewall F-Series.
Go to the CONTROL > Box page.
In the left navigation pane, expand Operating System and click Save Current Config for ART.
Recover a System Configuration with ART
Enter the ART menu.
Select System recovery.
Setting Only Basic Configuration Parameters using ART
It is possible to set a few important basic configuration parameters using the ART Basic Configuration menu. To enter this menu, perform the following steps:
At the command line, enter:
An ART screen appears as shown in the figure below. Now, using the arrow keys and Enter, select Basic Configuration.
Modify the Hostname, Management IP, Netmask, and/or Default Gateway fields as needed followed by pressing F3 to save the changed values.
Select Reboot to reboot the unit so that the changed values become effective.
Changing the Firmware Version Used by ART
ART always uses the firmware version that is shipped with the Barracuda CloudGen Firewall F-Series. After reinstalling your system with a new firmware version, you must update ART to use the same firmware version. Use the command line via the SSH client:
At the command line, change to the /art directory. Enter: cd /art
Upload the required firmware ISO image to the firewall.
Remove the existing netfence ISO file and rename the uploaded ISO to
rm -f netfence.iso && mv your-uploaded-iso-file netfence.iso
Change the file permission: enter
chmod 755 netfence.iso.
Using ART with the Barracuda Firewall Control Center
For CloudGen Firewall F-Series units managed by the Barracuda Firewall Control Center, you can initiate remote management tunnels from the ART menu. You can also access the management IP address, VIP, default route, and remote management tunnel. If the system has an Internet connection, you can also connect to the management IP address and VIP via SSH.